Author Topic: surname Larkkon/larkkom/larkon/Larkham ?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline seekernz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname Larkkon/larkkom/larkon/Larkham ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 April 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
 I do have this reference but have no idea how to access it,
Name: Eleanor Thomas Gender: Female Marriage Date: 11 Jun 1835 Marriage Place: Bristol, Gloucester, England Spouse: Thomas Larkham FHL Film Number: 1595983 Reference ID: p 58 n 172 .

In regard of shifting the search to parish records outside of city proper,
Im at a loss to know where to begin. How would I set parameters for a search of Parishes.
 little in my discoveries so far that makes mention of possibles. I have his son marrying at Edgebaston, Thomas registered death at Bristol, and several others resident in Walsall.
Shields/Hogan.Mangawhai
Stanley/Roberts/Larkham-Larkkom-Larkkon-Larkom. of staffordshire/Warwickshire.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

Have you thought of getting in contact with the Bristol & Avon or Weston-Super-Mare & District FHS as one of them could probably be of help to you

All the very best

Phil Heeks
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 April 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
The reference you have is from an LDS Family History Centre or website. It would be a microfilm of the existing register, but only available through one of the Family History Centres. Seeing where you live that is going to be a problem for you as there are none in Vietnam. The closest is in Thailand or Cambodia - you can find details on their site:
family search.org
Alternatively you can contact the Bristol Record Office direct and see if they can send an electronic image:
bristolmuseums.org.uk
It might be worth asking on Rootschat (Gloucestershire lookup requests) to see if anyone visits the Bristol RO regularly who might be able to copy and send it for you. I do go to Bristol from time to time, but I don't know when that might be next.
Do you have access to Ancestry? If so the record of the trial of Thomas Larkham a blacksmith of St Augustines parish (which is where your Thomas lived in later life) might be of interest. It gives a good physical description of him. This could be your chap.He was acquitted by the way.
Concerning Elias, who "Capetown" found, I recall, this is a promising lead. He was born in Banwell, Somerset in 1762 and apprenticed there to a carpenter in 1787. In 1790 he married Hannah Collings in Bristol and they had the following children:
William 1791
Elizabeth 1793
John 1795
Eleazar 1797
Edith 1800
He was living with his daughter in Bitton in 1841, but seems to have died later that year and was buried at St Mary Redcliffe in Bristol, where Hannah had been buried in 1833. Their eldest son, William was baptised at Temple church, but all the others were baptised at St Johns, Bedminster. Now Bedminster, although part of Bristol since the 1890s, was in Somerset then, so it may be that Thomas was one of theirs too, hence born in Somerset. Sadly I still can't find any baptism for him, so it's just a guess.
As for looking at parish registers, Somerset's are all on Ancestry now, but Bristol parishes (including Bedminster and other places nearby but in Somerset historically at the Bristol RO and not on the internet (yet),

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline seekernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 April 17 12:04 BST (UK) »

I do have access to Ancestry and haven't  looked into the gaol house thom. yet.
Only  problem I have with Elias is that I see nothing that indicates that he is the father of a boy that fits the bill.
 Thomas Larkham
BIRTH 1804 • Somerset, England
DEATH 1854 • Somerset, Gloucestershire, England and whom I am sure is my 3rd great-grandfather.
 Regarding the LDS document would it likely show witnesses ?
 I shall as you suggest contact Bristol Record Office direct and see if they can send an electronic image.
  Your input greatly appreciated, Ive chased this bloke through all manner of search options and he has me bushed. The list of surname variants is growing daily!.
Shields/Hogan.Mangawhai

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 April 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
According to the Bristol FHS index of Bristol marriages the wedding of Thomas Larkham and Eleanor Thomas was at the church of SS Philip and Jacob. They were both "of this parish" and it was by banns. No other details are quoted. The index does not include witnesses but does usually report marital status if it was in the original record, and any unusual additions. So presumably the witnesses and signatures or marks are the only extra info you would get from an image of the original.

There was an earlier marriage of Thomas Larkham to Charlotte Mills on the last day of 1826 at the church of St Mary le Port.

Elias Larkham married Sarah Williams at SS Philip and Jacob, 7 Sep 1835.  Both these entries again do not have marital status, just "otp" and "banns".

David

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 April 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned in my earlier post that you can ignore the Larkham/Mills marrige as the couple can be found in later Censuses in Westbury on Trym/Henbury

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

As you have a name to research & I note that you say you have access to Ancestry then why not look at the public members trees to see if the name your looking for is already on one of them - but if it is for goodness sake only take the tree as a rough guide as I know there are a hell of a lot of errors on them as to many researchers take them as gospel & just download them to there own tree's without even bothering to check if the information is correct - you have been warned :)

All the very best

Phil

ps Id also recommend you have a good look at this site GENUKI as that will give you a lot of info on any county you decide to research in but don't expect a lot of parish register transcripts on it as its more of an information site & very useful indeed
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline seekernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Phil, Ive looked at numerous public and private trees linked to the many variant spellings of this name and come up empty, most trees are in US and some on continent but nothing that I can connect to my boy.
 The off spring of his son have no knowledge of nor much interest their Grandad  either.
Documents per LDS FH in Cambodia is my best hope, a long and not too comfortable journey from here.
Shields/Hogan.Mangawhai

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

I cant promise anything but try typing in wsmfhs & that should get you to Weston-Super-Mare & District FHS - when your on the site put a look up request on its pages & hopefully a lady called Pat Hase may take up the baton for you as she has some ancestors in Bristol & may be able to help you (please don't quote me). Pat is the head researcher for Weston-Super-Mare FHS & is an extremely good one so I hope for your sake that she can help you

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell