Author Topic: 1901 Where was my Grandfather and his brother?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
1901 Where was my Grandfather and his brother?
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census shows living at 27 Balmoral Ave, Gateshead my G Grandparents Henry Edward & Jane Thompson and their 3 daughters, however the 2 males, my Grandfather and his brother are not listed. My Grandfather William Dobson Thompson was born September 1880 and his brother Thomas Murray Thompson, born December 1875.
A record for a William D Thompson living in Jarrow (South Shields) is not him, likewise a Thomas M Thompson born 1876 in South Shields and living in Berkshire, again is not him. There are a multitude of William and Thomas Thompsons living around the Co. Durham area in the 1901 census.
My hope is that both being of the correct age (25 & 21) they may have both been serving their country in the Boer war. Does anyone have access to records?
Thomas married in September 1903 in Rangemore, Staffordshire (can't find him there in 1901 census), he was a joiner and William married in October 1911 in Deane, Bolton, his occupation is an Insurance Agent.
Any information I would be grateful for.
Thanks, Paul Thompson
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Where was my Grandfather and his brother?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
William Dobson Thompson's birth date 1880. In 1939 he was living in Gateshead with Ronald Thompson born 1912.
regards.

Moderator comment: edited for content. 1939 register details removed as this dataset is exclusive to FindMyPast by subscription, you may only post information from a free search
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry original post deleted  :-[.

There are several William Thompsons with Boer War medals in NE regiments; none with middle initial D.

There is military records for a few Thomas Thompsons in NE regiments as well but only this Thomas M Thompson
First name(s)   Thomas M
Last name   Thompson
Service number   4717
Rank   Private
Regiment   1st (King's) Dragoon Guards
Other regiments/units   Unit: 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards, Rank: Private, Number: 4717
Notes   QSA Clasps: CC,OFS,T,SA01,SA02
Country   Great Britain
Record set   Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
William Dobson Thompson's birth date 1880. In 1939 he was living in Gateshead with Ronald Thompson born 1912.
regards.

Moderator comment: edited for content. 1939 register details removed as this dataset is exclusive to FindMyPast by subscription, you may only post information from a free search

Hello Paco,
Thanks for that, that was my father living with my grandfather (his father), not sure where Thomas was though.
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry original post deleted  :-[.

There are several William Thompsons with Boer War medals in NE regiments; none with middle initial D.

There is military records for a few Thomas Thompsons in NE regiments as well but only this Thomas M Thompson
First name(s)   Thomas M
Last name   Thompson
Service number   4717
Rank   Private
Regiment   1st (King's) Dragoon Guards
Other regiments/units   Unit: 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards, Rank: Private, Number: 4717
Notes   QSA Clasps: CC,OFS,T,SA01,SA02
Country   Great Britain
Record set   Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902

Thanks for the information Josey,
That's the problem with common Christian and Surnames, unless they use their middle name, or initial, then it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack unless we can find service information listing their address on signing up.
Thanks once again, Paul

The service number rang a bell and I looked through old notes and I had been informed that:
4717 Thompson was Thomas Monat Thompson from Leith.  Father Wililam, 45 Albany St Leith
20 years of age on 20 Mar 1900
So that one is no good.

Offline Patricia Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Im now a member of  Rootschat
Thomas Murray THOMPSON  born Gateshead Durham was my late husband's Grandfather.
and yes her certainly married Beatrice Amelia WILDES. and I can fill you in on their siblings at a later date.   We have no Marriage certificate so it was interesting to find out his mother was a Dobson.
I have not been able to get anywhere for years on the Thompson side, I have not found anyone doing the tree so I was surprised to find you on Rootschat.
My late Husband's brother, Robert has just sent away for Thomas M. Thompson's Birth Certificate
I know nothing about his siblings or Parents and only information passed down by members of his family was that his father worked for the railways and he could have  had sisters by the name of Marie and Etta This may have been short for Henrietta and also he could have had a brother named Ted.
Another rumour was that he had a brother who also moved down to the Derbyshire/Staffordshire area.

Patricia Hayes, formerly Brooks nee Silcock.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Patricia  :). Glad you found 'us' and I'm sure you will get some help here.

Paul will get an email telling him of your post. When you have made 2 more posts [just reply twice to this thread - blue box at bottom] you and he will be able to exchange information  about LIVING people [and your email addresses if you want] by personal message as we can't do that on these public pages. 

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 17 03:51 BST (UK) »
Im now a member of  Rootschat
Thomas Murray THOMPSON  born Gateshead Durham was my late husband's Grandfather.
and yes her certainly married Beatrice Amelia WILDES. and I can fill you in on their siblings at a later date.   We have no Marriage certificate so it was interesting to find out his mother was a Dobson.
I have not been able to get anywhere for years on the Thompson side, I have not found anyone doing the tree so I was surprised to find you on Rootschat.
My late Husband's brother, Robert has just sent away for Thomas M. Thompson's Birth Certificate
I know nothing about his siblings or Parents and only information passed down by members of his family was that his father worked for the railways and he could have  had sisters by the name of Marie and Etta This may have been short for Henrietta and also he could have had a brother named Ted.
Another rumour was that he had a brother who also moved down to the Derbyshire/Staffordshire area.

Patricia Hayes, formerly Brooks nee Silcock.
Hello Patricia, wow quite a shock to actually find a (distant) relative, first one. Thank you for getting in touch. I actually have the marriage certificate but not the birth certificate for Thomas so maybe we can do a swap (save the money). You are correct with his sisters Maria and Henrietta (Etta), there are more including my Grandfather William Dobson Thompson, there's no Ted though. I have lots of information about the Thompson/Dobson clan and even know about Beatrice's 2nd marriage (which I'm sure you are aware of). Just do a couple of replies as instructed then we can communicate and help each other.
Best wishes, Paul Thompson

Offline Patricia Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Paul
At Last I have found someone so looking forward to hearing from you further.
Patricia