Author Topic: John FOGGO, born c1836, Edinburgh  (Read 2637 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John FOGGO, born c1836, Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
  However, I have to bear in mind he referred to his mother as Mary FOGGO in 1854 not Mary DINGWALL which she had been since 1844.   I wonder where the Pawn Broker connection lies ???

Hi BAC3 -

http://scottishgenealogyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/use-of-maiden-surname-in-scotland.html

I'm not sure where in the world you are based, so apologies if what I'm telling you about Scottish traditions and records  are something you are aware of.

The link above gives info on the use of a woman's maiden name in Scotland. Legally once married , a woman could (and still can I believe) use either their birth/maiden name or their husband's surname. Often on Censuses you can find married couples , husband listed with his name, wife listed with her birth name.  Also it was common practice on widowhood to stop using your married name and use your maiden name .
If John provided the name Mary Foggo to the authorities, he may have did so knowing that she was Dingwall's widow. Mary could potentially have been using all 3 names during this period. John may have given her previous married name to match with his. 

As for the "Pawn Broker" ;D - it's entirely possible Mary changed career path . You just don't have proof of that yet. I wonder if she could be found in the Post Office directories of the era?    http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Edinburgh 

Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 April 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Been away and catching up.

Looby, that info does look good.

Found this not too old post also on John Foggo, son of Robert Foggo and Mary Telfer www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=753724.0

BAC3, might help to know a little more on your interest on the John Foggo you are researching. What do you have on him in later years?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Monica,

Thank you, and Looby, for suggesting the possible reasons for my failure to unearth any decisive BDM for John FOGGO after his release from Parkhurst Prison.   I will now contact that NZ thread and hopefully "Eureka".

However, I shall add a note of caution in that my attempts to retrieve details of 123 ex- Parkhurst Prison juveniles "transported" to NZ in 1842 and 1843 have been woeful :'(

For the moment

BAC3

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Monica and Looby,

I thought you may like to know the results of my NZ enquiries.

It seems John FOGGO died on 03/01/1917........the Death Certificate indicated he died in Port Chalmers, NZ, aged 82, and his parents were Robert FOGO (sic) and Mary Telfer FOGO (sic).    He was born in Edinburgh and had been resident in NZ for 52 years.

John FOGGO's details are now beginning to come together, except by which ship he arrived in NZ, which it seems highly improbable that will ever be discovered, as from the early 1860's for about 10 years too many immigrants and too few government officials to keep records ::)

I am quite delighted with the outcome and once again I must thank you for all your help from the Scottish angle 8)

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 April 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
You have made headway which is great. Thanks for the update  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk