Author Topic: Herbert Eastwood from Rochdale Lancashire  (Read 553 times)

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Herbert Eastwood from Rochdale Lancashire
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone in the community,

I am trying to find for my friend now in her 80s.  some details about what happened to Herbert Eastwood born about 1871 in this area of Milnrow in Rochdale Lancashire England he emigrated to the USA in 1904 and is listed on the Ellis Island Records to give you a few details he died between 1904  and 1907 emigrated on the Cedric from Liverpool Lancashire he went to look for work and wanted his wife to join him later but she never did - he arrived in the USA and by 1907 as I recall he had died and the family back here in Rochdale knew he had died on the Canadian Pacific Railway ?? How do you trace where he went and what happened to him in the USA. How do you trace anyone that died in USA ?  Kind regards to everyone for any help....Thanks...Annette

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Eastwood from Rochdale Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Death records in the US are held by the state or city, so it usually helps to know what state they were living in to find the record. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Looking at the passenger list, it looks like Herbert's final destination was Scranton (I assume that means Scranton, Pennsylvania) and he was going to join uncle Wm. Rees Jones, 510 Deacon St., Lackawanna?  The writing is a little hard to read in that, but Lackawanna is the county where Scranton is.

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Shelley

Many thanks for your response to my query.  I am not sure if Herbert Eastwood moved somewhere else after he arrived in the USA and I dont know who the Uncle Wm Rees Jones is...I dont know if Herbert was upset that his wife wouldnt join him and make the journey you understand.  The only other clue is that he is reported to have died on the Canadian Pacific Railway whether an accident or self inflicted...  Kind regards

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
It was very common in that era for the immigrant husband to come first, find a job, and get settled before paying for the wife (and kids, if any) to come over.  He may have died before that was possible.

I suppose he could have died in Canada, as well.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Regarding the uncle, there are 6 William R. Joneses in the 1904 Scranton city directory.   ::)  One of them was living at 510 Deacon and was a driver.  There was a William R. Jones at that address going at least back to 1899, but his occupation was laborer or miner prior to 1904.

One potential issue with what happened to Herbert was that Pennsylvania didn't require statewide vital registration until 1906, so he could have died just before that.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
This is that William R. Jones on the 1900 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M334-BTP  His wife and daughters were born in England, so maybe that's the connection to Herbert's family.  According to Lillie's death certificate, she was born 3 Feb. 1876 in Oldham, England.  Daughters Lillie and Edith's death certificates have Sarah's maiden name as Ashworth. 

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelley

Thanks for the update, just catching up with you, because of the time zones, the Herbert Eastwood on the Passenger List, "Milnraw" well that is Milnrow and not far from Oldham so I think we are on the right track there.  You have found out some interesting information from your side of the Atlantic Ocean  ....thank you again...

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi I found the marriage of William R Jones and Sarah Margaret Ashworth at St Peters in Oldham on 2 Oct 1873 so that seems to fit with those relatives....