Author Topic: Catholics marrying in the Protestant church.  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Catholics marrying in the Protestant church.
« on: Wednesday 05 April 17 02:10 BST (UK) »
How common was it for Catholics to marry in the Protestant church.

Did they have to convert to the Protestant church in order to marry.  How was that done.

CC
O'Farrell (Dublin) & (Westmeath) - Leonard (Dublin) - Duggan (Dublin) - Nolan (Dublin) & (Kildare) - May (Dublin) & (Manchester) - Griffin (Limerick) & (Dublin) - Doody (Dublin)- Doran (Dublin) - Flatherty (Dublin) - Ryan  - Dunne - Malone - Healy -

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholics marrying in the Protestant church.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
It was quite common for Catholics to marry in Church and they did not need to change their religion ..We have a few marriages for Catholics to Protestant's and they still remained Catholic ...Same with the Catholic church most of these marriages I know of the children were baptized in the Church or Chapel the marriage took place ..If the person did convert to the other faith they attended classes for 6 weeks as far as I know

Rosie

Try google lots of information there  :)

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie17.   :)  CC
O'Farrell (Dublin) & (Westmeath) - Leonard (Dublin) - Duggan (Dublin) - Nolan (Dublin) & (Kildare) - May (Dublin) & (Manchester) - Griffin (Limerick) & (Dublin) - Doody (Dublin)- Doran (Dublin) - Flatherty (Dublin) - Ryan  - Dunne - Malone - Healy -

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
How common was it for Catholics to marry in the Protestant church.

Did they have to convert to the Protestant church in order to marry.  How was that done.

CC

You give no context.
Are you talking about two Catholics marrying in a Protestant church? That would be strange or unheard of. Or do you mean a Catholic-Protestant intermarriage? If the latter,  then when are you talking about? Remember that it was illegal for a Catholic priest to perform such an intermarriage until sometime in the 1880s.  Such a "marriage" (i.e. a marriage with one or more non-Catholics, performed by a Catholic priest) was legally null and void during the penal law era.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 April 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Depends when.  There is some interesting statistical analysis on mixed marriage generally in the following Queen's University Belfast paper, based on the 1911 census :

Edited to delete link, please disregard post

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 April 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 April 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Depends when.  There is some interesting statistical analysis on mixed marriage generally in the following Queen's University Belfast paper, based on the 1911 census :

http://pure.qub.ac.uk/portal/files/13821188/queenswp.pdf

Given that they don't even get the geographic extent of the Irish provinces right - see Figure 1 - I am not sure how much of this can be believed.

I was going to what's the problem with it that noticed a lump of Munster is marked as Leinster, well spotted you.

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
my husband and I married in his local Protestant church in 2000. He was baptised catholic and I am Protestant. We did go on an inter faith pre marriage course and had a dispensation from the local bishop.  I would assume in the past that something similar would have happened. Reactions from the community may have been very different though in the past. We have never had problems but neither of us are practising.

I think if it had been the other way round there may have been more obstacles but I don't know.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Dowding
Hall
Butt

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
There's always been a certain degree of inter-marriage in Ireland. Some families and areas are very relaxed about it. We have Catholic friends whose Presbyterian ancestor converted to Catholicism when he married and their children raised as Catholic. We have Protestant friends whose Catholic ancestor converted and children raised as Protestant.
One local Presbyterian man married (as his third, much younger wife) a Catholic woman. The marriage took place after they'd had over 12 children together (the whole lot being baptised Church of Ireland at the same time as the marriage).
Another local Presbyterian man married a Catholic woman and their children were baptised Catholic. The wife died when children were small and is buried in chapel graveyard. A short time later the husband remarried to a Presbyterian woman and the children were raised in that religion. One of the sons from the first marriage (baptised Catholic, raised Presbyterian) used to visit his uncle (the local priest) when he was in town.
My Irish great-grandparents had a mixed marriage- he was Presbyterian and her family were Reformed Presbyterian- which caused problems initially among some of her family even though they married in America. So, sometimes it just depends on the attitude of family and friends.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!