Author Topic: Woodhorn Lookup-Skinners and Glovers Company-Geo. Grimshaw, Wm. Bittleson-1700's  (Read 852 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear all,

I've been through the catalogues. Both Woodhorn and TWAS each hold some records of The Skinners and Glovers Company.

What appears to be the most likely prospect at Woodhorn is:
Ref. No.:     SANT/GUI/NCL/4/3/1
Title:          Account Book of the Company of Glovers of Newcastle upon Tyne
Date:         1696 - 1878

I have no idea how large this file is so I do not know if this is an onerous request. If it is, I will withdraw it. (I do wish that archives would include more information about physical size, number of pages etc. in their catalogues for the benefit of distance researchers as I am far away in central Canada. I tried clicking on the "VIEW FULL RECORD" button to no avail.)

I now have two 18thC names of interest:

1) William Bittleson/Biddleson/Baddleson, and other variants, skinner, though at the moment I cannot find that piece of paper to give a date window (been hoarding that one for years) but he will be 1740's or later (I have found only one mention of him being a skinner).
[EDIT: So contemporary with #2 below.]

2) George Grimshaw, skinner
 - baptized 18 July, 1823, St. Andrew's, Newcastle
 - married 6 October, 1748, St. Nicholas, Newcastle
 - died 26 January, 1789, buried All Saints, Newcastle
so the window for him to be a member of that company would be approx. 1744 - 1789.

I would like to know if either of those names appear in this source, and on what page(s). If there is a reference number pencilled onto the corner of that page, I would like that/those too to facilitate ordering copies from the archives. I'm not averse to paying for my copies because I do want these archives to have the income to digitize more and more of their records, but I cannot afford to pay their research time fees.

Tonight I am making a similar lookup request for TWAS in the Durham forum. Once that is posted I will add cross-referencing links to both posts.

Here is the link:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768882.new#new

But very N.B. please:
This is a narrowly-focussed request. I do not want anyone to waste their time re-inventing the wheel for me looking up BMD's, BT's, newspaper mentions etc.

With thanks in anticipation,
Westoe

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Woodhorn Lookup-Skinners and Glovers Company-Geo. Grimshaw, Wm. Bittleson-1700's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Westoe

I will probably be at Woodhorn next Wednesday as usual and can at least request the document and start the search - depends on how large it is as to whether I could complete it  ;D

Christine

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Woodhorn Lookup-Skinners and Glovers Company-Geo. Grimshaw, Wm. Bittleson-1700's
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine,

My apologies for the delay in replying. I've been away a few days and without internet access. Thank you for your offer. I will appreciate knowing how big the document is.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
I am so pleased you mentioned this today because although I had made a note I hadn't written down the details.  Your post was a timely reminder  ;D

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:24 BST (UK) »
There was only one book – so not an onerous task but sadly neither of your men were mentioned.
The only names were those who were ‘admitted to his freedom in the company’.  Sometimes only one in a year never more than four.  For more information on the Freemen of Newcastle see

http://www.freemenofnewcastle.org/

Click on the tab ‘Companies’ - there is some information on Skinners and Glovers

The book was a joy to use, though. It’s good to handle records I would not normally need to see.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 April 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine,

Thank you very much. I do appreciate your time. I will mark this thread completed now.

Cheers,
Westoe