Author Topic: TWAS Lookup-Skinners and Glovers Company-Geo. Grimshaw, Wm. Bittleson-1700's  (Read 696 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear all,

I've been through the catalogues. Both Woodhorn and TWAS each hold some records of The Skinners and Glovers Company.

What appear to be the most likely prospects at TWAS are:

1)  Ref. No.:     GU.SK/1/1
     Title:          Item Including some lists of members, 1437 - 1783
     Date:         1437 - 1958

2)  Ref. No.:    GU.SK/5/1-
     Title:          Series Apprenticeship Bonds
     Date:         1624 - 1760

3)  Ref. No.:     GU.SK/6/1 and GU.SK/6/2
     Title:          Membership lists including quarterly fees paid
     Dates:        1741 and 1742

I have no idea how large these files are so I do not know if this is an onerous request. If it is, I will withdraw it. (I do wish that archives would include more information about physical size, number of pages etc. in their catalogues for the benefit of distance researchers as I am far away in central Canada. I tried clicking on the "Thumbnail" button to no avail.)

I now have two 18thC names of interest:

1) William Bittleson/Biddleson/Baddleson, and other variants, skinner, though at the moment I cannot find that piece of paper to give a date window (been hoarding that one for years) but he will be 1740's or later (I have found only one mention of him being a skinner).
[EDIT: So contemporary with #2 below.]

2) George Grimshaw, skinner
 - baptized 18 July, 1823, St. Andrew's, Newcastle
 - married 6 October, 1748, St. Nicholas, Newcastle
 - died 26 January, 1789, buried All Saints, Newcastle
so the window for him to be a member of that company would be approx. 1744 - 1789.
[EDIT: And the window for his apprenticeship would be approx. 1735 - 1748.]

I would like to know if either of those names appear in these sources, and on what page(s). If there is a reference number pencilled onto the corner of that page, I would like that/those too to facilitate ordering copies from the archives. I'm not averse to paying for my copies because I do want these archives to have the income to digitize more and more of their records, but I cannot afford to pay their research time fees.

Tonight I made a similar lookup request for Woodhorn in the Northumberland forum. Here is the link:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768881.new#new

But very N.B. please:
This is a narrowly-focussed request. I do not want anyone to waste their time re-inventing the wheel for me looking up BMD's, BT's, newspaper mentions etc.

With thanks in anticipation,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TWAS Lookup-Skinners and Glovers Company-Geo. Grimshaw, Wm. Bittleson-1700's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Thanks to kindly RootsChatter Christine, I've had my look-up at Woodhorn and struck out there, so here's still hoping that someone will take a look at TWAS for me.

Cheers,
Westoe