Author Topic: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information  (Read 51242 times)

Offline Tirjenkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information
« Reply #225 on: Sunday 07 May 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Re William Bingham, his marriage in 1825 to Maria Houston, daughter of Arthur Houston of Drum (near Binghamstown) is recorded in the Registry of Deeds, Dublin (memorial no. 809/491/545827). As part of the agreement, some lands held by Denis Bingham in the Mullet and in Doolough were placed in trust for William Bingham, as well as lands in Doolough  and Gortmore held by Arthur Houston.
One parcel of land was in the townland of Curraboy, by Saleen Harbour (to the south of Binghamstown) and it was here that William erected stores, also a dwelling house (Bay View) which was approx ¼ mile east of the harbour. The harbour enterprise was not particularly successful, so in early 1848 he leased the stores for use as an auxiliary workhouse and got the post of workhouse superintendent. This proved his undoing: he contracted fever and died later that year.
His widow Maria and her family (four daughters and two sons) continued to live at Bayview and she was still there in 1883, but by 1887 she was living in Doolough Lodge with her son Arthur and his family. Her eldest son, Willy, who immigrated to Australia in 1860, kept in regular contact and many of her letters to Willy have survived, thanks to his great grandson, Ian Phelan, now deceased.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tirjenkin ... absolutely brilliant ... if possible could you also send us a link to the source of your information ... it answers many questions we have had until now ... also provides a link to Major Denis Bingham of Bingham Castle .... is Bayview house still standing and by chance would you have a resting place for Major Denis, William or Arthur ... sorry my mind is running

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Monday 08 May 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
They are all online....

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-3SGG-T?i=338&cat=185720

Starts on  right hand page and all of next page!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Monday 08 May 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Snippet

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Monday 08 May 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
One parcel of land was in the townland of Curraboy, by Saleen Harbour (to the south of Binghamstown) and it was here that William erected stores, also a dwelling house (Bay View) which was approx ¼ mile east of the harbour....

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.1934988,-10.0386675,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2HcTHtzvhWT1ZiERHKAT-A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

no sign of any old house

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tirjenkin ... the letters to Ian Phelan from "Willy" ... is there still a linkage for access to Willy's life and descendants in Australia ... Willy's brother Arthur's son Robert John my grandfather traveled 1st class to Sydney Australia in 1911... Thanks heaps

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks also Hallmark ... I have downloaded the sections and am translating into plain english at the moment... this document actually is the first piece to link William to Major Denis as his son and shows a positive location for Bayview ... it also allows me to look for a descendant in Australia I had no knowledge of.. well done :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Ahh OK, it was just his grave you were looking for initially.

Did Denis leave a Will in whatever year he died?

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark ... true .. I couldn't see any either ... old stone wall behind the newer house but at least a good location to put on my itinerary for my trip to Ireland next year.... I would wonder the background of the protected harbour ... stores site was made into a workhouse ??