Author Topic: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information  (Read 51202 times)

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information
« Reply #234 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
No will I know of ... this doc closest found so far... marriage grant ... you are right the graves are the ultimate destination of my searching

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
All I have is a shooting accident in 1842

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Monday 08 May 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
All I have is a shooting accident in 1842

You have...

"... in early 1848 he leased the stores for use as an auxiliary workhouse and got the post of workhouse superintendent. This proved his undoing: he contracted fever and died later that year. .."

You have his father buried in Chapel adjoining Castle..... so where do you expect Denis to be buried??

Having evicted and starved locals during the Famine, been distributor of relief food from America during Famine, where tenants had to hand in their leases to get food, or be allowed into workhouses giving up their bits of land, he wasn't a liked man.....

Buried in a Cemetery he'd have been dug up!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Tirjenkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Monday 08 May 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Re graveyards I have found very few surviving inscriptions in the protestant graveyards on the Mullet; erosion and vandalism have taken their toll. I was shown one informative headstone in Cross Abbey graveyard (not far from Binghamstown), a Houston stone:

SACRED
to the memory of
A Houstn Esqr Mrs
E Parkr Miss D P this
Monument is erectd
by Mrs M Houston
alias Crump the
belovd wife of sd
A H the dearly
belovd Daughtr of
sd    A OMalhy the
dear Sistr of DP
May their souls
RIP AMEN

(thats roughly how the inscription is laid out)

Refers to Arthur Houston and others; stone erected by his widow. (This is the same Arthur Houston as in the Marriage Settlement)

I have a photo which I'll post separately

Pob Hwyl!!

Offline Tirjenkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Monday 08 May 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
No joy with the photo, I'll try again another time. Re the Phelan letters, I have photocopies of most of them, so I'll get them scanned and send them on. Are you familiar with Rita Nolan's book "Within the Mullet"? There's a few extracts from those letters scattered through a few chapters; its a vexing book though, as it has no index.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark ... William dying of fever in 1848 .. I would guess his resting place to be similar to his wife, and son Arthur's wife and infant child at Cross Graveyard Protestant Cemetery in the family plot in Belmullet.
I would also guess that Major Denis (1842 death) to have his resting place at the destroyed (1925ish) Bingham Castle and Chapel site along with his father Henry .... what do you think ... Its going to be a difficult task to prove though..... as I don't think any remnants now exist
Seems from Tirjenkin that legible headstones may be also very difficult to chase ... I have read most of "Within the Mullet" and all of "Mayo Binghams", the first difficult to reference and the second aligned to Major Denis through daughter Anne line of the family. ... Love to read a few of the letters to help in a later search closer to home (Aust)

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Friday 12 May 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark ... Thanking you for all your research help ... I believe we have gone as far as we can ... the old cross graveyard at Belmullet with its unreadable stones and the ruin of Bingham Castle may keep their residents from our eyes .. again thanks heaps

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Friday 12 May 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Have not yet read this post completely but notice that Reply 237 by Tirjenkin has a grave inscription quoted which mentions,possibly an O Malley family member from Ballina Co Mayo,which is not far away from your area.A very elderly well connected lady by the name of O Malley lived in a small country house on The Quay Ballina 1980s this date may be wrong,but unfortunately lost her life in a fire.
 A O Malhy.     Not much help but may trigger another direction of research , Brionne

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Monday 15 May 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Brionne ... the Bingham line is our main aspect ... looking for any grave-sites or records of inscriptions etc from Major Denis Bingham of about 1842, his death and the William branch of the family.
Again thank you
We have travelled as far as we can at present with the help of the fellow members of this great site.