Author Topic: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information  (Read 50516 times)

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello helpers
Major Denis Bingham died in 1842.. I do not know when he was born or his wife .... one of his daughters (no real sons).. I assume eldest, Anne married her cousin Robert Augustus Bingham in 1817 ... and had several offspring ... Denis built his castle and the village of Binghamstown in 1795 ... I believe William, Denis's illegitimate son, was born about 1765 .... who had my g grandfather Arthur Shaen Bingham (1830 - 1915) who lived at Doolough Lodge with his family including my grandfather Robert John Bingham (born 1871).
Most of the gravestones in Belmullet cemetery I believe to be children of Gerald and Augusta Cecilia Bingham (married 1877)
The Denis Bingham married to Elizabeth Nash in 1846 was one of Major Denis Bingham's grandsons.
Both published books Mayo Bingham's and Memoirs of the Binghams do not memtion the William line except to say William was Denis's son but not by law, also shows his involvement in landlord business alongside Maj Denis Bingham.
Thank you guys so far ... still seeking

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Oops ... although I had read William to be born to Maj Denis about 1765 ... I believe his birth would have to be around 1788 - 1800 for him to father my g grandfather Arthur (born 1830)
Just a thought ...
Further info ... Arthur's wife was Maria Hanson Savage (daughter of Robert Savage) married 1854 in Belmullet.
Thanks
 :)

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Another thought ... Since Maj Denis father Henry was married to Letitia Daly in Oct 1761 ... the date about 1765 may have been referring to Maj Denis's birth date and not William's...
My apologies ... Regards

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Yes it is getting rather confusing!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
Sir Richard left no male issue, and the representation of the family devolved on the eldest son of his brother George.

HENRY BINGHAM, Esq. of Castlebar, the son of George Bingham, Esq. Governor of Sligo, who was killed in 1595, as already noticed. This Henry was created a baronet of Nova Scotia in 1632. He married a daughter of Mr. Daniel Byrne of Cavanteely, a clothier or Merchant tailor in Dublin, and the sister of Sir Gregory Byrne the ancestor of the baron de Tabley. John Bingham, Esq. of Foxford, in the County of Mayo, the brother of this Henry, is the ancestor of Lord Clanmorris, and of the late Major Bingham of Bingham Castle. Sir Henry Bingham was succeeded by his eldest son
    SIR GEORGE BINGHAM, who was succeeded by his eldest son
    SIR HENRY, who died without issue, and was succeeded by his half-brother
    SIR GEORGE BINGHAM, who was succeeded by his eldest son
    SIR JOHN BINGHAM. He was Governor and representative in parliament of the County of Mayo.  He married Anne, daughter of Agmondesham Vesey, Esq. grand-niece of the celebrated Patrick Sarsfield, Earl of Lucan. He was an officer of rank on the side of King James in the battle of Aughrim, and contributed to the success of William, by deserting his colors in the brunt of the battle. He died in 1749, and was succeeded by his eldest son
    SIR JOHN BINGHAM, who represented the County of Mayo in Parliament, but dying without issue in 1752, the title devolved upon his brother
    SIR CHARLES BINGHAM, M.P. for the County of Mayo, who was raised to the Peerage on the 24th of July, 1776, in the dignity of Baron Lucan of Castlebar, and advanced to the Earldom of Lucan 6th October, 1795. He married, in 1760, Margaret, daughter and sole heir of John Smith, Esq. of Cannon's Leigh, County of Devon, and Andrees, County of Somerset. He died on the 29th of March, 1799, and was succeeded by his eldest son
    RICHARD BINGHAM, Earl and Baron of Lucan. He was born 6th December, 1764, and married on the 26th of May, 1794, Lady Elizabeth Belasyse, third daughter and co-heir of Henry, last Earl of Fauconberg, by whom he had issue
    GEORGE CHARLES BINGHAM, the present Earl of Lucan, who, following the example of his ancestors, has removed all the Burkes and O'Malleys off his lands, and commenced a system of agriculture, by which (though he may perish in the attempt, being overwhelmed by the rates necessary to support his hostages detained in the poor law prisons of Westport and Castlebar,) he will do more to reduce the Queen's subjects in Mayo, in the reign of Victoria, than his ancestor Sir George, or the Governor Sir Richard, had done in the reign of Elizabeth.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you for your last details
I'll have to sit down and digest the information
I had been looking to Henry who married Arthur Shaen's daughter Francis Elizabeth in 1738. Their son Henry passed the County Mayo estates to his sons Henry and my Maj Denis ... I had thought the Sir George to Sir John line would eventually move along to Lady Lavinia Bingham who married George Spencer 1781 then on through the Spencer Line etc.
Soory mate ... i'll go away and chart your information alongside mine
Thanking you 8)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Denis only had 2 daughters.... could William be father of Robert Augustus, his son in law??
Forgot Source to previous post..  http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/E610005-001/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Scrap that...he was Henry's son

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 April 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway mate ... Shame it shows no wife for Maj Denis either.