Author Topic: Re: McCloskey/McNicholl  (Read 1769 times)

Offline PhillyKelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCloskey/McNicholl
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of my great grandmother, Mary McCloskey, married to Daniel McNicholl. She is buried at St. Joseph's in Glenullin and died when my grandfather was two years old. That would have been 1908. Mary was the mother of Bernard, (my grandfather), sister Jennie and older brother Michael. I have located Daniel McNicholl in the 1911 Census. He had remarried Jennie by then and had had another child, Ann. We are trying to give Mary a proper headstone but cannot find the exact birth and death dates. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: McCloskey/McNicholl
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of my great grandmother, Mary McCloskey, married to Daniel McNicholl. She is buried at St. Joseph's in Glenullin and died when my grandfather was two years old. That would have been 1908. Mary was the mother of Bernard, (my grandfather), sister Jennie and older brother Michael. I have located Daniel McNicholl in the 1911 Census. He had remarried Jennie by then and had had another child, Ann. We are trying to give Mary a proper headstone but cannot find the exact birth and death dates. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Likely death in August 1907-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1907/05516/4546155.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PhillyKelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness! I have been searching for such a long time. I am trying to place a proper headstone as a Mother's Day gift for my Mom. This would be her grandmother.

Do you have any idea how I might find her birth date?

All that is left at the cemetery is the upright of the cross with "Thy Will Be Done on the back.

I have ordered the marker and just need to tell the gentleman what to write on it.

You are a God Send!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
hi,,do you have the details from her marriage to Daniel?  i.e. do you have her fathers name and occupation?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PhillyKelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
I do not have many more details except that Daniel McNicholl and and Mary McCloskey were both born in Ballintemple. She was 35 when she passed so born in 1872. They had three children before she passed, Michael, Bernard and Jennie. I found Daniel and his second wife, Jennie, in the 1911 Census. See attached census from 1911.

She is buried at St. Joseph's Church in Glenullin. I called the church for records but the church secretary is preparing for their 100th anniversary and is swamped at the moment.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline PhillyKelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Wow...that is incredible!

So now I have her father's name, Bernard McCloskey, and where she was living when they got married. I am trying to decipher the town. I know my family was in Ballintemple.

I am one step away from a birth date. I can feel it and then a proper headstone.

My grandfather would be so pleased and my mom will be over the moon!

Thank you.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:32 BST (UK) »

... Possible 1871 birth for Daniel here, location and father's name fit:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03301/2209639.pdf

Possible marriage for Michael McNichol and 'Nancy' Mullan in the above 1871 birth registration...

Dungiven RC parish, 25 May 1866, Michael McNichol of Ballintemple (father Michael of same location) married Anne Mullan of 'Easlanaduff' (father Samuel of same location), they were related - note the dispensation for  consanguinity (2nd marriage down from top):
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633041#page/7/mode/1up

'Easlanaduff' is maybe Ashlamaduff?  http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=2297

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
Wonder if 'Lisnascreagh' for Mary McCloskey in the 1896 civil record of marriage to Daniel McNichol is the same as 'Lisnascreghog' and if it reads across to these folk in 1901?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Slaght/Lisnascreghog/1520450/