Author Topic: Seal - Personal or Armorial. William Staniland of Selby  (Read 642 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Seal - Personal or Armorial. William Staniland of Selby
« on: Wednesday 05 April 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am beginning to wonder if some of these wax seals on documents, are personal seals chosen by the signatory, rather than linked to a Crest.

I've been up to my old tricks and made an offer on two Selby related documents, which arrived today.

An 1829 Lease of property at Brayton, to William Staniland (Memorial of the Deed was registered at Wakefield 2nd September 1829 near Five in the afternoon, KN Page 432 and Number 405) and the Seal adjacent the name of William Staniland is a Stag.

But the Staniland surname does not appear as a stag in Fairbairns Book of Crests (1905).

Seems William Staniland of Brayton was a Methodist ...
1844 reference here http://www.braytonparishcouncil.co.uk/html/history_of_brayton.html

The Lease was also Signed sealed and delivered by the within named William Staniland in the presence of
Edw Parker /Sworn/
Jno L Haigh.

John Gage signed his in the presence of
[?] Townsend College of Arms
Geo: Smith

Seems all the other parties (except Staniland) are using another seal, of what appears to be a head and shoulders.

Parties mentioned are:-

John Gage of Lincolns Inn, Middlesex Esquire
Edward Darell of Calc Hill near Charing Kent Esquire [alias Cale Hill, Kent, of Henry Darell, Esq.]
Charles Weddall of Selby County of York Esquire and
William Staniland of Selby Gentleman

Freehold garth at Brayton of one acre with stable and building occupied by William Volans bounded by ... (individuals named)

And also three acres one rood and twenty four perches bounded by ... (individuals named)

Parties bounding:-
Mrs Ann Hartley or Mrs Ann Startley
Mr Thomas Ottley
late of Joseph Dean but now of William Staniland
Mr James Poppleton
and some of the other names mentioned.

Also mentioned:-
John Shillitto of Barton upon Humber in the County of Lincoln Tallow Chandler
Mary Ann wife of Edward Darell
George Burton of Selby Butcher
Stephen Staniland of Selby Gentleman

Regards Mark