Author Topic: another Palfrey Rowlands  (Read 2169 times)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
another Palfrey Rowlands
« on: Wednesday 05 April 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Up to now I have two Palfrey Rowlands.
senior  Palfrey, son of Thomas Rowlands and Mary Palfrey born 1765 Llangollen
junior   Palfrey  son of Palfrey Rowlands and Elizabeth ?, born around 1800 at Caernarvon.
Palfrey junior married Catherine Hughes at Llandwrog in 1830.
1851 census has the family at Llechylched Anglesey
Palffrey Rowlands    51
Cathrine Rowlands    49
Thomas Rowlands    10
James Porter Rowlands    5
Cathrine Rowlands    17
But checking GRO records for Rowlands children with mother's maiden name Hughes gave me another Palfrey Rowlands born 1844 Caernarvon reg district.
I can not find anything more regarding this Palfrey, have sent for his birth certificate.
I know that I am impatient and should wait until I receive the bc, but surely there is some informatio out there about him f I could find it.
Any help or suggestions welcome

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: another Palfrey Rowlands
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 02:48 BST (UK) »
I thought I had a theory, but unfortunately I think I'm only confusing things even more!

A Joseph Palfrey Rowlands married in Carnarvon in 1843, and on the same page is Ellin Hughes.  This appears to be them in 1851 at Mount Pleasant, Llanbeblig:

Joseph P Rowland 39 Mariner b Caernarvon   
Ellin Rowland 25   
George P Rowland 7 
James Rowland 2 
Ellin Rowland 3 M 

ROWLANDS, ELLIN  MMN: HUGHES,  1851  M Quarter in CARNARVON  Volume 27  Page 325

Strangely I could only find one James Rowland/s MMN Hughes, and that was James Porter Rowlands who, according to the 1851 census you posted, is the son of Palfrey & Catherine, although the age doesn't fit with the birth reg, which was Sept Q 1848.  Then to confuse things even more, Familysearch has an 1849 baptism for a James Porter Rowlands, son of Joseph Palfrey Rowlands & Ellen  ???
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FM98-9BD

I had thought that George P Rowland might have been your missing Palfrey, but there are two birth entries, both Carnarvon, both MMN Hughes:

ROWLANDS, GEORGE 1843  D Quarter Volume 27  Page 318
ROWLANDS, PALFREY 1844  J Quarter  Volume 27  Page 337

I lose track of Joseph & Ellin after 1851, but George (Palfrey?) becomes a baker and by 1871 is in the workhouse.

Also, although Joseph Palfrey Rowland/s gives his birth as c 1812, Familysearch has this baptism:

7 Oct 1821 Llanbeblig, Caernarvon
Joseph Palphrey Griffith Or Rowlands
Parents: Palphrey Rowlands & Jane Griffith
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FM98-JPX

I'm completely intrigued now as to what the birth certificate for Palfrey has to say!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
There are a few Merchant Seamen records for Joseph Palphrey Rowlands.  One dated January 1845 states he was born 2 Oct 1821 at Caernarvon & first went to sea as a boy in Oct 1837.  There is a description of him and lots of dates & numbers I won't pretend to understand.

Another gives his voyages 1853-1855. 

If Palfrey s/o Palfrey Rowlands and Elizabeth ? was born around 1800, it's possible that Joseph is his illegitimate (?) son.

Possible death in Carnarvon in 1858, Joseph Rowlands aged 39.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest, I would like to know how to find the Seamens records for Joseph Palfrey.
I think that I have Palfrey' brood in order
Palfrey senior had four (that I know of) children
1790  Mary illegitimate daughter of Palphrey Rowlands. mother not named on baptism record.
1791 Mary died, the burial records show her as the daughter of Palfrey Rowlands, mother not mentioned

1800  Caernarvon, Palfrey son of Palfrey Rowlands and Elizabeth his wife.  Many hours spent looking for a marriage  but as yet I have not found one.

1821   Caernarvon Joseph Palfrey illegitimate child of Palfrey Rowlands and Jane Griffith

1832 marriage of Palfrey Rowlands and Jane Giffith, Llanbeblig, Caernarvon.
I assume Eliabeth died but I can not find burial

1833 George Palfrey Rowlands son of Palfrey and Jane Rowlands

Will pot what the bc says when it arrives, I suppose I will just have to be patient
thank you

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
The seaman's records are on Find my Past.  The search doesn't bring up his middle name, although it is shown on the images.

I'm not very good at being patient with certificates either  :)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
bc
25 May1844 at the Poorhouse, Caernarvon, Palfrey,
father Palfrey Rowlands,
mother Catherine Rowlands  formerly Hughes,
Father's occupation Tanner.
informant Catherine Rowlands, Poorhouse, Caernarvon.
I have been unable to find any more information about him.
Except that he was not with the family in 1851 nor the following censuses.
Spent years looking for Palfrey senior so maybe I will get the answer to what happened to this one.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
So you have a birth cert for Palfrey s/o Palfrey & Catherine but no sign of him on the census, and a census entry for James Porter Rowlands s/o Palfrey & Catherine but no birth entry - is that right?

Could the answer be that they are the same person?  With a DoB of 25 May1844, Palfrey would have been six, almost seven, whereas James is recorded as five, however, on the 1861 census James is shown as aged 17 (1844)  :-\

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Found a James Rowlands, weaver, in 1881 and 1891 census.
He could be the son of Catherine and Palfrey.
Can not find a marriage certificate.
1881 has him married to Mary, born Nevin
1891 has him married to Rebeca born Anglesey.
Tried to find another James, could be son of Joseph Palfrey  but as yet no luck.
Work in progress is the  kindest description I can think of to the task of finding whose birth was registered as Palfrey in 1844.

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 April 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this adds anything but I searched for Palfrey in transcribed Anglesey marriage records and found a marriage for a daughter of Palfrey Rowlands:

27 July 1855 at (St Cybi's) parish church, Holyhead - Daniel Owens, 30, b, blacksmith of Summer Hill, son of Richard Owen, blacksmith married Elizabeth Rowlands,25, s, Summer Hill, dau. of Palfrey Rowlands, tanner. Elizabeth Rowlands signed by mark. Witnesses were Edward Morris (by mark) and Palfrey Rowlands. The image is on FindMyPast.

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk