Author Topic: Mary Spencer, Balbriggan & Nottinghamshire?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Anne Chan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Spencer, Balbriggan & Nottinghamshire?
« on: Wednesday 05 April 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
For a long time I have been trying to find out about my gg grandmother Mary Spencer, nee Hardy / Hardding. She is described as the wife of Francis Spencer, hosier (born 1820, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire) but I have been unable to find a marriage in either England or Ireland. (The Francis Spencer who married Ellen Matilda Appleyard in 1865 is one of Francis senior's sons by his 1st wife). Mary and Francis lived in Drogheda Street, Balbriggan from the early 1860s to 1895, when Francis died. Mary was the informant on Francis's death certificate, his widow, present at death, her mark.
The couple had 2 sons whilst in Balbriggan: Wrighthall, my g grandfather, born 1866 (mother Hardding on birth certificate) and Robert born 1870 (mother Hardy). Both boys were baptised in 1876 in St George's Church of Ireland Church, Balbriggan. Wrighthall was married in Nottinghamshire in 1889, where he spent the rest of his life apart from 7-10 years in Ballaghaderreen. Robert emigrated to Los Angeles in 1919, and the 1920 US census said his mother was English.
There is a possible Mary Spencer in Mill Street in the 1901 census, though this says she can read and write. I have been unable to find her death in Ireland or England.
I would love to know when and where she was born and died.

Offline Anne Chan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Spencer, Balbriggan & Nottinghamshire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
For a long time I have been trying to find out about my gg grandmother Mary Spencer, nee Hardy / Hardding. She is described as the wife of Francis Spencer, hosier (born 1820, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire) but I have been unable to find a marriage in either England or Ireland. (The Francis Spencer who married Ellen Matilda Appleyard in 1865 is one of Francis senior’s sons by his 1st wife). Mary and Francis lived in Drogheda Street, Balbriggan from the early 1860s to 1895, when Francis died. Mary was the informant on Francis's death certificate, his widow, present at death, her mark.
The couple had 2 sons whilst in Balbriggan: Wrighthall, my g grandfather, born 1866 (mother Hardding on birth certificate) and Robert born 1870 (mother Hardy). Both boys were baptised in 1876 in St George's Church of Ireland Church, Balbriggan. Wrighthall was married in Attenborough Parish Church, Notts in 1889, and lived in Sutton in Ashfield from 1911 to his death in 1936. Robert emigrated to Los Angeles in 1919, and the 1920 US census said his mother was English - I guess that she probably came from Nottinghamshire like Francis.
There is a possible Mary Spencer in Mill Street, Balbriggan in the 1901 census, though this says she can read and write. I have been unable to find her death in Ireland or England.
I would love to know when and where she was born and died.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Spencer, Balbriggan & Nottinghamshire?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post here

Topics now merged
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Spencer, Balbriggan
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
On Roberts birth his father is the informant so should know his wife's maiden name Hardy
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03361/2232422.pdf

On Wrightalls its the midwife/nurse Rose Doyle  possibly made a mistake ?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03519/2294610.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Spencer, Balbriggan
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 April 17 00:16 BST (UK) »
It's not uncommon for a person who could read and write to have her/his mark on a cert.

I had a thread on this subject a while back
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759345.msg6100012#msg6100012

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 April 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
How about the Francis Spencer who married in Sutton in Ashfield 11 April 1841 to Caroline Cassoday.

Birth
Name   Robert Spencer
Gender   Male
Birth Date   10 Mar 1870
Birth Place   Dublin, Ireland
Father   Francis Spencer
Mother   Mary Hardy
FHL Film Number   101201

1851 and 1861 Francis and Caroline are in S in Ashfield raising a family.
Burial 16 May 1862 Caroline Spencer aged 41 S In A.
Doesn't help much with your Mary though, sorry.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 April 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
according to this it seems to be the same man and they had one daughter Sarah Ann 1844 to 1911
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:MCDK-MDB

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 April 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann   there seems to be doubt about Fathers name
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M7YN-6F9