Author Topic: Assistance with name of witness on marriage record  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Assistance with name of witness on marriage record
« on: Wednesday 05 April 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
I could do with opinions on the Christian name of the first witness on the 14th July, 1835 marriage record for my great-great-grandparents, Murtagh Crean and Peggy [Margaret] Rashford [Rochford], in the parish of Our Lady's Island, which can be seen on the LHS on the following page
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634033#page/118/mode/1up
Surname of the first witness is also Crean.

Thanks!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance with name of witness on marriage record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Where is it?? Left page? right page??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Ahhh among Baptisms.. James Crean and   ?  Rashford???

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Ahhh among Baptisms.. James Crean and   ?  Rashford???

Yes, this marriage is intermingled with baptisms on the left hand page. Second witness is Dicky [Richard] Rashford. As for the first witness, I thought it might be Tom when I looked at the register in person, but looking at the images I agree that James now seems more likely - but somehow distorted, missing a letter?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Should add - one reason I  was hesitant to accept "James" as the reading is that there is other evidence that James Crean was dead by 1834!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
difficult...

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 April 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Would both witnesses be men?
Usually a man and woman isn't it?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 April 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Would both witnesses be men?
Usually a man and woman isn't it?

That was the later tradition, but two men is not that uncommon, especially earlier. I have seen some examples where it is the two fathers - and this may be one such example.
 "Dicky" [Richard] Rashford was certainly Margaret's father.
[Rashford was and is the local pronunciation of the surname more commonly rendered as Rochford. The family later changed over to the Rochford spelling.]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 April 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
What is the word before "James"?

I thought Thoms, but it is not the usual way to write Thos:-\

The J of "james" is also a bit odd, and the word a bit short, but as this entry was obviously an afterthought, that may explain any inconsistencies in the writing.