Author Topic: Assistance with name of witness on marriage record  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance with name of witness on marriage record
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
What is the word before "James"?

I thought Thoms, but it is not the usual way to write Thos:-\

The J of "james" is also a bit odd, and the word a bit short, but as this entry was obviously an afterthought, that may explain any inconsistencies in the writing.

Good question! I don't think it a name, I think it is "Spons" which is an abbreviation for the Latin "sponsores", the sponsors/godparents at a baptism.  As already noted, this marriage entry is in the "wrong" location, and is included amongst a list of baptisms. Perhaps for that reason, I think the priest used the wrong abbreviation, that for sponsors rather than witnesses.
As for the "J" in James, there are some other examples of James close by on the page, and they seem similar.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
What is the word before "James"?

I thought Thoms, but it is not the usual way to write Thos:-\

The J of "james" is also a bit odd, and the word a bit short, but as this entry was obviously an afterthought, that may explain any inconsistencies in the writing.

Spos  sponsors
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
Should add - one reason I  was hesitant to accept "James" as the reading is that there is other evidence that James Crean was dead by 1834!

I think it is James since the 'J' is very similar to others on the page. Is there more than one James Crean in the family? Is it possible that this signature is another family member?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:38 BST (UK) »
Should add - one reason I  was hesitant to accept "James" as the reading is that there is other evidence that James Crean was dead by 1834!

I think it is James since the 'J' is very similar to others on the page. Is there more than one James Crean in the family? Is it possible that this signature is another family member?

sami

I am now thinking along those lines, or that I misread the date on an estate map. But in general it is getting very confusing, with various records and genetic testing all pointing in different directions as to who Murtagh Crean's father was.
I will mention that Murtagh and Margaret named their second son "James Richard Crean". [But the first son was Aidan Peter.]
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, thank you - Sponsors.

(Sponsors rather than witnesses?  :-\)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:57 BST (UK) »

See reply no. 9!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 December 23 08:50 GMT (UK) »

The priest used "gossops" for godparents at baptisms.