Author Topic: Hannah Haigh - possible suicide Eccleshill, Bradford  (Read 4161 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hannah Haigh - possible suicide Eccleshill, Bradford
« on: Wednesday 05 April 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, found this on facebook and thought someone might be able to help. I have permission to re-post on here.

I have a mystery that I have wondered about for years. In the seventies I lived on Ravenscliffe and used to take my children to the industrial museum, it used to be a mill, near Fagley I think? There was a disused reservoir with lots of rubbish and dirty water close to the mill and propped up against a wall was an old gravestone. The inscription was as follows, unfortunately I don't have the full date at the end.
In memory of Hannah daughter of William and Mary Haigh of Dudley Hill who departed this world the 30th day of August in the 21st year of her life.
And can you look on this my face without remembering all or part of what I did and what he's done who sent me here with broken heart. To such foul deeds I'd have you look with perfect hatred and despise a man who used deceit and took my moral virtue as a prize.
Also of Mary, wife of William Haigh and Mother of Hannah who departed this life November 18th 18??
It has always puzzled me as to how poor Hannah died, it is a very cryptic inscription, also why was the gravestone left discarded there? I did have a photo of it, not a good one though but might search it out sometime.

Hope someone can help,
thanks
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Haigh - possible suicide Eccleshill, Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
This one?  National Archives reference   TNA/RG/4/28

Hannah   Haigh
Age   20
Birth year   1811
Burial date   02 Sep 1831
Bradford, Dudley Hill
Denomination   Wesleyan Methodist
Father   William
Mother Mary

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
That looks as if it could be the one. I'll have a look at the T&A for that date, next time I'm in Bradford. Thanks groom.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
groom,
Pat Parker the lady who originally put the post on facebook no longer lives in this country but sends her thanks

Dave

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped. Maybe now we have her dates someone may be able to find out more.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hannah Haigh was baptised 20th January 1811 at St Peter (Bradford Cathedral). Father William Haigh. I think it says coal manager?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 April 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
I think it says Williams occupation is 'cordwainer'. Residence Bowling. The same residence is given in the burial record.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 April 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
I think it says Williams occupation is 'cordwainer'. Residence Bowling. The same residence is given in the burial record.

That makes far more sense Jen.  ;D

If it was a suicide would a burial in consecrated ground be allowed at that time?

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 April 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
RG4/3154