Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 33378 times)

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting piece of information about the maiden names majm. I didn't know that. Just Scotland?

It seems you are forming the opinion that there's no mystery? and that Gordon Blair has clean hands and it was an amicable agreement? I hope so and would like to think so but I still have a mistrusting 'chunk' of me that says no and won't go away.... yet.
Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:30 BST (UK) »
Further to Wivenhoe's reply #18 re William Kippen. There are a few articles on Trove mentioning him - he was a native of Perth, Scotland, and was involved in the newspaper industry in Ipswich, though I doubt that this is significant to your search.

Unless Gordon left a paper trail back in Scotland it is doubtful you will ever determine his reasons for leaving. Don't be too caught up in thinking because he was a Clerk in Scotland, that he was an honest or truthful man. In a couple of families I have done a bit of research on recently there are Clerks who fiddled the books - one chap ended up doing ten years hard labour for his crime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
Using one of the options at Qld BDM online,  Elizabeth Jane BLAIR died 23 July 1863

Nope, I am not forming the view that Gordon was not without blemish, but so far, I have not seen any evidence to suggest he was hiding secrets from his Scottish past.   The easiest way to hide skeletons in the 19th century when migrating was simply to change your name after you landed.  There was no formal process required.  You did not need to prove your name to anyone, and you simply got on with life under your new name.  You could write home to Scottish relatives and perhaps say "out here in Qld I am known as Gordon BLAIR" when in fact back in Scotland you had been known as Donald M'DONALD.   There's so much difference in age between the passenger list and your other sightings, that it is of course entirely possible that the 19th year old lad, Gordon BLAIR has no connection to your tree.   :)

Re females retaining their surnames .... in NSW during the penal era, and particularly under Governor Lachlan Macquarie, females (convicts, and those who came free) were often recorded under either name.  Macquarie was a Scotsman...  ;D

Scotland is not the only country (I think of Spain) , but here's a thread re Scotland - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=454431.0

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
Majm on the DC as I stated earlier he is the signed informant. He says he is 31 years old and a clerk and born Scotland. - no place given there given.

He says he is married in 1863 at Ipswich Queensland [that's his BIGGEST LIE]. He and Julia were married - 7 July 1876 in Brisbane at the Manse, Ann st.

Julia Droughton - 25yrs born Ireland.

All his children were born well before he 'actually married'. Sir James Blair was unregistered c 1870.
I gave the date earlier that was extracted from his Bio and his School

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:48 BST (UK) »
Yes JM, I have checked BDM Qld Gov. I almost live in there. :-) Great site but not as good I think as the Vic Gov site. NSW site okay.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:59 BST (UK) »
https://www.qld.gov.au/dsiti/qsa/search/#index-categories

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Image/DigitalImageDisplay.aspx?ImageId=38806#page=1&view=Fit&ispdf=true

Gordon BLAIR on the MANGERTON, ex Plymouth 15 April 1861, arrived Brisbane 7th August 1861. He was recorded as aged 19, and a farm labourer from Sterlingshire.

So his formal marriage commenced in Qld in 1876, but his informal marriage commenced in 1863.  English Acts did not apply outside of England and Wales unless the law actually stated that they extended to ...... (and named the colony/British territory).   So for example English Marriage Acts did not apply in NSW (or any colony hived off from NSW) unless the colonial government's legislation said so or England's Parliament specified which colony it applied in.  (This dates from about 19 July 1823 and a ruling by Sir Francis Forbes in about 1828).   

Also, there's the seven year rule and also those living beyond the seas, to consider and then there's the Scottish irregular marriages which were banned by English Marriage Act of 1753 but not banned in Scotland.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 April 17 06:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie. I'll next try and find how Gordon's sister got here as she isn't listed on the Qld passengers under Jane Blair anyway. She may have come early and told her brother Gordon to get here, there are great opportunities to be had and Land. She may even assisted him.

I also saw him on some certificates as a 'writer'. Whatever that means. Did he publish? probably not much income doing that, and that as well may have lured him here or caused a problem at home. ? We may never know.

Not a good look as I stated once before that the Attorney General of Qld at the time of his unregistered birth his parents hadn't married but the father says he was 7 years ago.

I'm just looking for the truth of it whatever it may be.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 April 17 06:08 BST (UK) »
'clerk' and 'writer' can have similar meanings in 19th century - scribes ... people who write up records in registers, logbooks etc.... Typewriters come about in early 20th Century .....

JM

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 April 17 06:09 BST (UK) »
JM what about his earlier marriage to Jane Norval on 7 June 1850 Glasgow? How does that sit with his much belated marriage to Julia Droughton after all his children are born?

Why would you do that and tell lies about it? Claiming he was married 7 years before? That's what I was asking help for.? Can someone find a divorce for me because so far I'm unable. She lived on after his departure. Did he commit Bigamy? If he didn't why all the lies?