Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 33376 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #369 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
 ;)
I got it from Reply #352  by JM.  ;)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
;)
I got it from Reply #352  by JM.  ;)

Sue

Apologies to JM. I didn't notice that.
There is so much info on this thread it's hard to keep track.....and yet it's fascinating !

After saying that I though 3 Corunna Street would be a fairly affluent address - I now find that 20 Candleriggs (which I think was Georgina's address) was the location of a Great Western Cooking Depot ( a soup kitchen ??) and the Bakers' House of Call (no clue  ??? ....a trade house ?? ).

Looby :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,   no apologies needed,  this very long thread can definitely be hard to keep track of, and yes, it is definitely fascinating.

Very early in the quest, I read a biographical piece about Sir James William BLAIR, the youngest of Gordon and Julia's children.   In it there's mention of the gossip about Sir James, and the word used in reference to his character was venality.   That's not a pleasant word, but to associate it with a Justice of the Qld Court system in an era before the Bjlke-Petersen reign  simply 'floored me'. 

Here's the bio I read about Sir James  attached as a 3 Meg pdf  *** NOPE, cannot attach, too big
Here's a bio about Sir Joh    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh_Bjelke-Petersen

*** search google for J.C.H. Gill M.B.E., B.A., LLB., F.R. HIST. S.Q. and "A Brief Account of the Life and Times of The Honourable Sir James William Blair, K.C.M.G. Chief Justice of Queensland." The 25 page pdf is fully referenced, which to me suggests it has been peer reviewed.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
Looby, anent this "House of Call" the Incorporation of Bakers owned a building at the head of the Candleriggs for storing wheat.
Corunna Street was at Kelvingrove.

Skoosh.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:32 BST (UK) »

"..Jane was brought up by William and Janet Drummond nee McKay in Glasgow and is with them in 1851 ( transcribed as Jane Stholmie, visitor, on Ancestry) through 1871 where she appears as Jane Drummond, daughter."

Isobel,  I am having trouble locating these census entries. Can you please direct me to them using names, ages, addresses, birthplace, rather than folio, page etc

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
After saying that I though 3 Corunna Street would be a fairly affluent address - I now find that 20 Candleriggs (which I think was Georgina's address) was the location of a Great Western Cooking Depot ( a soup kitchen ??) and the Bakers' House of Call (no clue  ??? ....a trade house ?? ).
I have 3 Corunna Street in my tree. It was the home of Archibald Logan, general practitioner MD Glasgow University, in 1881 and 1891, and of his mother Agnes Wotherspoon or Logan or Peden, who died there in 1890. Archibald died there in 1894, but his unmarried aunt Jane Wotherspoon lived there (she was described as a visitor in 1891) until her death in 1916. These Wotherspoons were not an affluent family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
I have 3 Corunna Street in my tree. It was the home of Archibald Logan, general practitioner MD Glasgow University, in 1881 and 1891, and of his mother Agnes Wotherspoon or Logan or Peden, who died there in 1890. Archibald died there in 1894, but his unmarried aunt Jane Wotherspoon lived there (she was described as a visitor in 1891) until her death in 1916. These Wotherspoons were not an affluent family.

Thanks Forfarian for that background. ;D
Looks like I'm wrong - not like me ! :P Although perhaps affluent was the wrong word to use. Maybe I should have said slightly better off than many other Glaswegians ?
Looking at images of Corruna Street, I thought the buildings looked a cut above the average Glasgow tenement.
Paterson Bamber, Customs officer's neighbours in 1868 included 2 surgeons, a teacher, a Reverend, a Captain, a smith ( no clue if that's a gold/tin/blacksmith ) , so I assumed the people of Corunna Street at this time were slightly higher on the social scale than the boarding room ladies the thread was earlier equating Jane Norval/Blair, Georgina's mother with. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Wivenhoe - not surprised you are having problems. The transcriptions vary wildly between Ancestry and FindMyPast.
Using FindMyPast
1871 113 Hospital Street, Govan, Glasgow ( address on Jane's marriage certificate)
Janet Drummond, head, married 49 born Cambuslang
Jane Drummond, daughter 21 born Glasgow
William Drummond, son 20 born Glasgow
John Drummond, son 18 born Glasgow
Gavin Drummond, son 16 born Glasgow
Janet Drummond, daughter 10 born Glasgow
Jane McKay, boarder 45 born Rutherglen

1861 St Andrews Sq, Calton, Glasgow
M Drumond (f) head, widow, 36 born Cambuslang
William Drumond, son 16 ( shows as 10 on Ancestry) born Lanarkshire
John Drumond , son 8 born Lanarkshire
Gavin Drumond , son 6 born Lanarkshire
Robt Drumond, son 2 born Lanarkshire
Jean S?abie, boarder 8 born Lanarkshire ( Jean Shdabie on Ancestry/ Shrabie on Speople)
Josiah Niven, boarder age 12 born Lanarkshire
Jean McKay, sister age 20 born Lanarkshire

1851 2 William Street, Calton, Glasgow
William Drummond, Head, married 38, machine maker born Glasgow
Janet Drummond, wife, 29 born Glasgow
John Drummond , son 0, born Glasgow
William Drummond, brother 28, Plumber, born Glasgow
Elezabeth McKay, servant 27 born Glasgow
Jane McKean, visitor, 25 born Glasgow
Jane Sthornlie, visitor, 2 born Glasgow (Sthomlie on Ancestry)
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Jane Sthornlie=Tolmie?

The terraces in Corunna Street would have had servants, it's still a bit swanky, Finnieston is now the place to live in the west-end!

Skoosh.