Author Topic: Joseph Pennington, born around 1815/1816  (Read 1024 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Pennington, born around 1815/1816
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

This person was one of my 4x Great Grandad's.

He Married Mary Ann Warren, in Cheadle, on the 7th of July 1836. He signs himself: "Pinnington" on the Marriage Certificate.
From what I can gather, Joseph and Mary Ann had nine children between 1835-1859:
The oldest child, Joseph Henry Pennington, I cannot find a baptism for. But according to the Census returns, he was born around 1835, before his parents were married. I think Joseph Henry married a Sarah Ford, in Stockport in 1857.
They had an Ellis, born 3 Nov 1837 in Stockport, buried 15 March 1840.
There was a Sarah Ann, born around 1840. She married Henry Prince in 1873.
My 3x Great Grandad, Samuel was born in Stockport on the 12 of April 1843.
On the 6th of June 1852, Samuel, another Ellis (born 1845) James (born 1849), and Maria (born 1852, buried 1853) were all baptised in Stockport.
This just seems strange to me, that all the above four children were baptised on the same day. And also, my Samuel here was already 9 years old.
Davenport Pennington was born on the 24th of September 1854. William, the youngest, was born around 1859.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on. Now back to my 4x Great Grandad Joseph Pennington:
Joseph was a: "Glass, China, and Earthenware Dealer" in Stockport.
In the 1841 Census, he was living at Angel Street, Stockport.
In the 1851, and 1861 Census, he is living at: 88, Middle Hillgate. On both Census returns, his date and place of birth is shown as: "1816, Knutsford, Cheshire".
In 1871, his address is 8, Park Street, Stockport and his year and place of birth is shown as:"1815, Knutsford, Cheshire".
But the trouble is, that I can't find a baptism for a Joseph being born around this time in Knutsford, or in Stockport.
In the 1881 Census Joseph's year and place of birth is down as: "1816, Stockport".
In the 1891 Census, Joseph is shown on "Family Search" at 13, Moseley Street Stockport. On this Census, his year and place of birth has been transcribed as: "1816, Cheshire, America"  :)

Joseph died on the 25th of October 1891 in Stockport.

Apologies for waffling on once again. If anyone has any ideas regarding Joseph's baptism or any information regarding the above, it would be gratefully accepted.  :)

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Pennington, born around 1815/1816
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, the census of 1891 of Joseph senior shows, born Stockport. However, the entry above in a different household shows a lady born in New York, America. So this seems to be a transcription error.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, Joseph Henry was baptised at St Mary Stockport on 25th August 1835 under his mothers maiden name of Warren. It shows that her name was Mary and she lived in Hillgate.  I will look and see if I can find anything else to help.
Regards
Kathb
Edited to add, source of information Diocese of Chester Parish Baptisms.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Joseph Henry was baptised at St Mary Stockport on 25th August 1835 under his mothers maiden name of Warren. It shows that her name was Mary and she lived in Hillgate.  I will look and see if I can find anything else to help.
Regards
Kathb

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
I did try to look for possible siblings of Joseph on "Find My Past" and "Family Search".
Because Joseph when he was married had his parish abode of Cheadle, I looked for Penningtons Married in Cheadle.
There was a William Pennington, who married an Ann Bray in Cheadle, on the 16th of March 1828.
There was a Margaret Pennington who married a John Lewis in Cheadle on the 22nd of September 1823.

I also came across a Will, while in the Library on "Find My Past" (where I can view it for free because I don't subscribe to it). Anyway, this Will is the Will of a Peter Pennington, dated 1864. The place of the Will is; "Bredbury, Cheadle Moseley". This Peter was a Farmer at that place.
In his Will which is about 5 pages long, Peter makes mention quite a lot of his Brother, William Pennington. He also makes a few mentions to John Norbury, of Stockport, who I think may have been a Shopkeeper.
Most interesting of all, for me, this Peter mentions his Brother, Joseph Pennington, stating something like: "not giving the children of my Brother Joseph any money". I didn't read all of this Will, and only scanned it. But I think that is the only mention of a Joseph that this Peter gives.
I looked up this Peter on the 1851 Census. His Wife's name was Mary on the Census. There was a Peter Pennington who married a Mary Wood in Stockport in 1828. On the 1851 Census, his Brother William is living with him. William's date and place of birth is down as: "1815, Disley, Cheshire". So this William would be a different one to the William I mentioned who married in 1828.
Peter's date and place of birth is down as: "1801, Disley, Cheshire".  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 April 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Joseph Henry was baptised at St Mary Stockport on 25th August 1835 under his mothers maiden name of Warren. It shows that her name was Mary and she lived in Hillgate.
Regards
Kathb

That would make sense: Mary's Father's name was Henry Warren 1778-1846. He was a Weaver in Stockport.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 April 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
I've had a look to see who could have been around the right age in the Census returns in the Stockport area for possible Fathers of Joseph:
I found a James Pennington, who in the 1851 Census was down as being born in 1776 "Heaton Norris, Lancashire". This James was a: "Provisions Dealer" in Stockport at the time. This James died in Stockport in 1853.
I had a look on Family Search, and the only James that I could find who was born around that time, was baptised in Disley, I think around 1774. I think his Father's name was a Peter.
There was a James Pennington who married a Sarah Tarrington in Cheadle on the 16th of August 1801.
There was a James Pennington who married a Hannah Malpas at St. Mary's Stockport, on the 3rd of June 1816.
I'm not sure if the above two people were the same James for each marriage, but it is of course possible.  :)