Author Topic: Maiden name help  (Read 677 times)

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Maiden name help
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi got a marriage record from rootsireland some years ago, I’m just going over my records
And I’ve not really question the record before just blindly copied the info to my tree now I’m not sure if it correct (I don’t have a copy of the original) the record says -

William Tyrrell married Catherine Foley at Monkstown 13 Feb 1873
Her Parents Abraham Foley & Mary Lynch

But on her daughter’s Elizabeths Bapt record it says Catherine Lynch on her birth cert it says Foley!

I checked the marriage records & there are 2 entries for Williams marriage one to Catherine Foley & one to Catherin Lynch, both have the same number - Rathdown 1873 1-2-987.

I’m guessing that Catherine was a widow but which name was her maiden name?

They might have both been widows as she was 37 he was 49 when married & both from Wicklow.

I don’t really want to buy another cert is there another way to figure it out?
Tried the nli but no Monkstown.

Thanks
Winship/Simpson/Addison from Durham.
Wade from Lancashire & Durham.
Johnson/Johnstone from Bellingham Northumberland & Durham.
Beattie from Angus & Durham.
Dicky/Low From Kincardineshire Scotland.
Smyth/Doyle/O'Connor/Connolly from Dublin.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I’m guessing that Catherine was a widow but which name was her maiden name?

Or - she was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Lynch and Abraham Foley who never married

Or - she was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Lynch who later married Abraham Foley and Catherine took her stepfathers surname

Or - Mary Lynch was previously married - had Catherine - was widowed - re-married to Foley and Catherine took her stepfathers surname (least likely scenario)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 17 00:43 BST (UK) »
Just spend the money. It is very reasonable - just 4 Euro? Apart from resolving this question, it is in any case good to have the actual certs for direct ancestors.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
oh i never even thought about that Carole its far more complicated than i thought thanks for you  expertise.

i guess i will have to buy the cert i was waiting for irishgenealogy.ie to add more civil records as i need a few certs, its been easier to wait than set up fax machine and relearn how to use it ???
Winship/Simpson/Addison from Durham.
Wade from Lancashire & Durham.
Johnson/Johnstone from Bellingham Northumberland & Durham.
Beattie from Angus & Durham.
Dicky/Low From Kincardineshire Scotland.
Smyth/Doyle/O'Connor/Connolly from Dublin.