Author Topic: thomas McVitie  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas McVitie
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
I am carrying out some research into the McVitie family of the biscuit firm and have run into a blank wall . I understand that William McVitie inherited property in Rose Street from his brother in 1832 but have been unable to find any details of Thomas McVitie's death . Has anyone any information . any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: thomas McVitie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah,

It may be an idea to post details of when/where born, siblings names & anything relevant such as place names when/where which may help others researching the same family?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
thanks for advice but have little information. Thomas McVitie was probably born in Dumfries c1770. His brother William was born in Dumfries in 1772 and died in Edinburgh on 14/9/1842. His wife, Jane mcVitie. also died in Edinburgh on 14/2/1846. Thomas lived a Sciennes and property there passed to William on 29/12/1829. On earlier document shows Thomas residing at South Castle Street and property at Rose Street passing to William on 6/7/1832?

Offline Adammoller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 August 19 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Thomas McVitie might be the one that died about that time in the colony of NSW. He was very successful in the colony. If Thomas and William have a sister called Mary who married William Wallace, they lived in Dumphries, this is probably the one.

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 August 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
thanks for this information. Unfortunately I have not been able to link Thomas with the other information I have on the family