Author Topic: Portumna residents  (Read 3721 times)

Offline TheNineteenth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portumna residents
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers on where to take this next? What records have I failed to examine, etc? This is a piece on my Great Great Great Grandparents Pat Nevin and Honor Hogan.

Our first glimpse of our Galway Nevin ancestors comes in an 1834 Tithe Return showing one William “Navin” as farming 94 acres of land at the townland of Derryoober East in the Civil Parish of Ballynakill, County Galway. This was land worth £7 1s and comprised around 3% of the total land of both Derryoober East and West. Among his neighbours were Pat Ford Senior and Pat Ford Junior. Another Nevin – James – lived at Dooros and farmed 36 acres worth £36 7s 9d.

By the next document – the 1856 Griffiths evaluation, William Navin had presumably died, leaving the land – now worth £8 10s in the hands of, presumably, his son – Patrick Nevin. Patrick was around 28 years old at this time. We also see mention of a house on the land at this point too - of approximate value £2 5s. Pat Ford – presumably Junior! – remains a neighbour. All 477 acres of Derryoober East was owned by the Marquis of Clanricade at this point.

The next year, 1857, Pat Nevin had a child, Michael, with Maria Forde. Godparents were Maria’s family – Owen and Maria. We do not know if they were married. There is a sizable gap in Woodford marriage records between 1843 and 1851, but this doesn’t necessarily explain the lack of marriage record here.

In the couple of years following the birth, Maria disappears – presumably dies - and young Michael gains a step-mother in the form of Honora Hagan, who was born around 1829. Again, no marriage record survives. The only other ‘gap’ in records is from 1869-1871. Either way, the first surviving baptismal record of Pat and Honora’s children is that of Francis Nevin at Woodford in July 1859. Patrick Nevin and Honora Hogan are listed as his parents, and Ferdinand Nevin (a very unusual name!) and Bridget Hogan his godparents. His sister Maria Nevin follows in July 1861, with godparents Michael Kilroe and Bridget Roughan. Following this, there is a break in the extant Woodford baptisms until 1865 (and again in 1868-1869).

However, after this time their resumption, the Nevin baptisms stop being recorded in Woodford Parish or, indeed, anywhere at all! I have examined transcripts of Woodford baptismal registers of the 1860s but find no Nevins! That said, they continue to be noted in civil registration, which picks up the rest of the family’s births with Pat Nevin on 7th April 1864, who was born at Douras to Pat (listed as a labourer, who registered the birth two days later) and Honor. There could well be another child between the parish registers concluding in 1861 and civil registration picking up Pat in 1864 (it was only introduced that year). Anyway, next followed Julia on 17th November 1869 (again with Pat – still a labourer – registering, six days later), Martin in October 1871, Ferdy (not the longer ‘Ferdinand’) in May 1873, Ellen in May 1875 and finally Letitia in August 1877. Father Pat Nevin registers all births apart from the last two – the last is registered by Honor herself - and is listed as a labourer in each one, too (except for in 1871 when he is a ‘herd’). He also always records himself as ‘Pat’ rather than Patrick.

Pat will have died at some between between Letitia’s 1877 birth and her 1893 marriage, by which point he is listed as being deceased. The most likely records for Pat’s death are in January 1885 for a 70 year old married Patrick Nevin, labourer of Tynagh, Portumna. The coroner registered his death. The other possibility is the 50 year old married Patrick Nevin who died at Portumna Workhouse in January 1878. I think it unlikely that between 1877 and 1885, Pat would have ended up living 20km away from Dooros in Tynagh, and think it far more likely that he ended up in the local workhouse, especially as several of his children settle either in Portumna, or just across the border in Terryglass.

Honor Nevin appears to have outlived Pat by thirty years, dying on 16th November 1909 in Portumna Workhouse. She had been suffering from “chronic bronchitis” for two years. She was listed as the 80 year old widow of a labourer. Martin Donohue, the “occupier” of the workhouse was the informant, although he didn’t register the death for 43 days – on 29th December. Honor is likely to have been in Portumna workhouse in the 1901 census, but I have been unable to locate her there (as workhouse residents were identified solely by initials).

Any pointers as to where to go to examine Pat and Honor more thoroughly would be hugely welcome!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portumna residents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
I'm not answering you question, not sure if I can, but I just couldn't get past this line
"Derryoober East in the Civil Parish of Ballynakill Parish in Leitrim, Galway"

As Leitrim and Galway are two different counties I had to look this up, I think you have to make it clear it's Leitrim Barony, or just leave out the reference to Leitrim all together.

I would have it as in the townland of Derryoober East in the Civil Parish of Ballynakill, County Galway

Offline TheNineteenth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Duly done...

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry to correct, Leitrim is a townland near Loughrea west of Tynagh, north of Woodford on the R351.
I know it well when we travel around Ireland quite a lot.
fao TheNineteen,
If you log onto Mike Denver web site he sings a song called  "Paddy" you will see the workhouse in the video, also Portumna Castle.
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
Derryoober East is a townland in Ballynakill civil parish and Portumna Poor Law Union/Registration District. See here for location-
https://www.townlands.ie/galway/leitrim/ballynakill/drummin/derryoober-east/

There are lots of places called Leitrim in Ireland-
https://www.townlands.ie/search/?q=leitrim
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry to correct, Leitrim is a townland near Loughrea west of Tynagh, north of Woodford on the R351.
fao TheNineteen,
If you log onto Mike Denver web site he sings a song called  "Paddy" you will see the workhouse in the video, also Portumna Castle.
Maggsie

The family don't live in a townland called Leitrim.
They live in a Barony called Leitrim in the townland of Derryoober East.

I knew the name Leitrim would confuse things which is why I suggested taking it out.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
It's the way records are released.
Some by townland, some by Parish and others by tax areas. Then a mixture of all.
I usually paste the names mentioned into search and have maybe 3 or 4 maps open and then look for the nearest town depending on the years as where the records would be registered.
Very complicated but great stuff!
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
It's the way records are released.
Some by townland, some by Parish and others by tax areas. Then a mixture of all.
I usually paste the names mentioned into search and have maybe 3 or 4 maps open and then look for the nearest town depending on the years as where the records would be registered.
Very complicated but great stuff!
Maggsie

The poster clearly stated the townland was Derryoober East in the first post and gave us lots of additional details with everything clearly explained so a townland called Leitrim really doesn't come into it ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Vera Nevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 October 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
fao TheNineteen,
Maggsie
I am too searching nevins from ballinakill I have the names Michael nevin who he married and his children I am very interested  to see we are both searching the same people you seem to have a lot of research done  some of the names you have are the same names I have  so would be great to share more info  you are correct the nevins ended up in portumna  and terryglass  and lorrha