Author Topic: Maj. Hugh MONTGOMERY of Maghera, County Derry, 1650  (Read 1290 times)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maj. Hugh MONTGOMERY of Maghera, County Derry, 1650
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Calling all Montgomerys:  Does anyone have any information at all about these Montgomerys of northern Ireland ?  (see list)

They came over to Ireland in the early 1600's from Scotland with the aid of Hugh Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery, who granted lands known as Gransheogh in the parish of Donaghadee, County Down, to Hugh Montgomery, a cousin, in 1628.

Gen 1. Hugh Montgomery of Gransheough, cousin of the 1st Viscount, migrated to Maghera, County Derry and represented the Borough of Newtownards in Parliament from 1635-1641.
He had two sons, Hugh and John.

Gen 2. (Maj.) Hugh Montgomery, the eldest son married a daughter of Robert McClelland.
They had "several daughters" and one son, William.

Gen 3. William Montgomery, son of Maj. Hugh, married Mary Magill, daughter of Capt. James Magill.
They had one daughter, Lucy, who died young, and one son William.

Gen 4. (Capt.) William Montgomery of Greyabbey, Gransheough, son of William, married (1st) Catherine Hall on 22 Sep 1719.
On the proposal of marriage, his prospective mother-in-law, Francis Hall, requested a Statement of the Value of his Property at Gransheough, which he furnished, revealing an £800 debt to Col. Adam Downing.
Capt. William Montgomery died on 17 Apr 1755.

Of the "several daughters" of Maj. Hugh Montgomery, I suspect William may have had a sister named "Jane".  I am searching for some proof of the identity of JANE MONTGOMERY and whether she may have married GEORGE DOWNING, Adam's father (perhaps) in or about 1665.  She was likely born between 1640-1646, because I know Adam was a first child in 1666.

The theory is that Adam Downing likely would not have even known about Capt. William Montgomery's financial problem, unless he had the family connection of being his 1st cousin, both grandsons of Maj. Hugh.

ANY information could be the key to solving a huge mystery.
I have a proverbial "ton" of data on the Downings of northern Ireland and would be happy to share.

Forward Into the Past,
Rick

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maj. Hugh MONTGOMERY of Maghera, County Derry, 1650
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Came from Scotland and lived in Ireland... did you mean to post on ENGLAND board?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
My Montgomery family came to Australia from Ballymena in Antrim, 1840, bounty immigrants per "Elphinstone".
Presumably they are descended from one of the four Montgomery brothers who came to Ireland in The Plantation.  But I haven't managed to get further back.
There's probably a relationship there somewhere but not known (by me, that is).

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Came from Scotland and lived in Ireland... did you mean to post on ENGLAND board?

??? ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
FYI: I posted it on the Ireland board, thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
FYI: I posted it on the Ireland board, thanks.

Yes, but is there a reason you duplicated this on ENGLAND board?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Dukewm,

Quote " Calling all Montgomerys:  Does anyone have any information at all about these Montgomerys of northern Ireland ? "

Rick,

Ref to your question in April, my great grandmother was called Isabella Montgomery and lived in Cavan, my father always said that the family were related to General /Field Marshall Montgomery of Alamein.
I spoke to a 2nd cousin a few years ago, who was in her 80s, she has since passed away and she met the General when she was very young and said that her family met him cos they attended a family gathering. The meet up was somewhere in the Newcastle area.
I don't know if this is of any relevance to you, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough