Author Topic: Thomas GAGHEN born abt. 1825 Beagh Kilmac Duagh  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas GAGHEN born abt. 1825 Beagh Kilmac Duagh
« Reply #45 on: Friday 10 August 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you, it is beautiful  and amazing  history   you never know  what you can find  :) :) :) :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 11 August 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Gail the original passenger list of which I posted a snip, shows the couple to be from Galway.  Information in BISA is taken from many sources and compiled by the SA Genealogy many years ago.  Yes there are some inaccuracies and omissions but the internet wasn't around to simply search by the click of a mouse!!  Lots of hard work and all credit to those volunteers and submitters of family information.

I think you may have to take what information was available at that time.  The certificates in South Australia were pretty scant on information in that era.  More along the lines of the English ones. 

Where did you source the information that Thomas was born Beagh Kilmacduagh?  Did you find an obituary for him?

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 11 August 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi  Cando,  you are right,   the work people have put in, doing the paper work would have been so hard  languages and pronunciation,  they did their best as you always do now😁😁😁😁 The BISA   had his age as 34yrs what year was that ?  As on the  passenger ship list he and Margeret were 21 .  My information I am sorry to say was from Ancetry 😓😓I know they  not always confirmed. It is pouring  rain here are you coping  with the heat there? Again I do appreciate  your time 😁😁😁😁😁Gail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 11 August 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
Beautiful day here in north west Victoria after showers overnight. :)

Information from BISA clearly shows born 1834 Galway, Ireland however it does not shows the source.  Could be from the shipping lists or death information.  It also shows Margaret O'TOOLE born Galway but that could have been taken from the shipping list.  Unless you can find their births and marriages in parish records then that's it.

GAGHAN Thomas born 1834 Galway Ireland
Died 30 Aug 1890 Buried West Terrace Cemetery
Arrived 1855 GRAND TRIANON
Lived Adelaide, Mitcham  Religion Roman Catholic
Married Margaret  nee O'TOOLE Born 1834 Galway Ireland Died 18 Aug 1921
Children Annie 1855-, Philip, Julia MONAGHAN 1860-, John, Caroline, Mary, James Margaret, Emma, Edward Thomas c1877-1891

Cando

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 11 August 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando , the laugh is on me thought you lived in England🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣  but you are just up the road ( in the same state😀😀 . The dates sound o.k.  so I will have ago . and start again and see if there is any thing in Galway around the time for his birth or a marriage .. You never know .talk soon Gail😁😁😁😁😁

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 31 August 18 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there ,well you can't believe all you read!!!!!!! Thomas Gaghen was supposely on  the ship" The Grand Trianon" but I  have found him on the ship " Fitzjames" arrivied same year but in September listed
GEOGHAN Thomas wife Margaret AND daughter Anne.  from Wicklow he was a stone mason. Thomas was 35 she 23 . it is all fitting in now.  will  keep on searching for marriage ect .Thank you for your help as I will still need it  Cheers Gail :) :) :) :) :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 31 August 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am just trying to catch up with this.
If I am reading correctly, the marriage and birth found earlier may now be relevant to your search. Is that right?

Heywood

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 31 August 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
Yep, the information in South   Australia i s corect  and the children .  But the arrival on the   ship was wrong..There is a  marriage certificate for Thomas and Margaret    10th Oct 1853 at Enniskerry Dublin,  A birth reg  at Ennishkerry for Ann 3 sept 1854 on the ship Ann is classed as a infant . And on the ships record they came from Wicklow .(sorry about the typing   I am just excited) This all came about by just typing in Geoghan into any shipping records betwee 1855 @1860. .I just thought maybe brothers  might have come out later. I can't  wait to continue to follow the line . Hope all is well with you  Cheer Gail 😁😁😁😁😁 .

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 01 September 18 02:19 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it was illiteracy or accents that resulted in the various spelling variations of this name. Very difficult to search the records when you give the surname GAGHEN and their childrens births were not registered with the surname GEOGHAGEN.  Fortunately I have the South Australian CD"s of births, death and marriages and can search using wildcards or simply the letter G and parents Thomas and Margaret.

There were two Thomas and Margaret GEOGHEGAN and alternative spellings, arriving in 1855 although the FITZJAMES is officially shows as 1856 as it arrived 31 Dec 1855.

GEOGHEGAN Thomas.  Arrived by 1855.
Lived Adelaide   Religion Roman Catholic
Married Margaret nee FAHY
Children Patrick 1855-, Bridget 1957-, Michael 1859-, Margaret 1862- and John 1866.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/grandtrianon1855.shtml
This couple's arrival has already been shown on the thread.

GEOGHEGAN Thomas  Arrived by 1857
Lived South Road and Mitcham.  Religion Roman Catholic
Married Margaret nee TOOLE
Children Phillip 1857-, Julia 1859-, John 1861-, Catherine 1863-, Mary 1866-, James 1868-1946, Emma 1874 and Thomas Edward 1877-.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/fitzjames1856.shtml

Cheers
Cando