Author Topic: Charles Berry of Castle and Kirkwood Farms, Penistone, West Yorkshire  (Read 1152 times)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Berry of Castle and Kirkwood Farms, Penistone, West Yorkshire
« on: Friday 07 April 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandparents Charles Berry, born about 1802 in Hall Green, Penistone and died Nov 1882 in Wortley, Yorks and Sarah Moorhouse, born about 1803 in Thurlstone and died 17 Nov 1861 at Kirkwood Farm, Penistone. They had six children - Edward, David, twins Joseph and Mary, Benjamin and Amelia and all born in Penistone; and Benjamin is the one I follow.
I have Charles and Sarah's marriage certificates and also census records for them and their children but it is their daughter Mary Berry that I am hoping someone may put me on the right track of where to look.
Mary was born on 16 Feb 1874 and died on 7 Sept 1874 at "Castle Farm", Penistone. Mary had three illegitimate children - Annie Amelia Berry b 1857-d 1880 in Wortley; James Berry born 1868 and Ada Berry born 1870. In 1871 Mary's three children were living at the family farm "Shepherd's Castle Farm" with their grandfather Charles Berry and their mother Mary Berry.
I have the 1861 and 1871 census for Annie Amelia as well as a baptism record (St John the Baptist, Penistone) and a death registration and for James and Ada just the 1871 census and their birth registrations. I am trying to find out what happened to them and where did they go when their mother died in Nov 1874 as James would have been about six and Ada about three. They are not with their grandfather Charles Berry who in the 1881 census was retired farmer and residing at Roughbirchwood, Oxspring and died the following year at Wortley.
Is there any links/sites or anything where I may be able to find out what happened to Mary's children? ( Annie Amelia Berry died at age 22 in 1880 at Wortley ).
  Thank you and Regards,
    Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Berry of Castle and Kirkwood Farms, Penistone, West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandparents Charles Berry, born about 1802 in Hall Green, Penistone and died Nov 1882 in Wortley, Yorks and Sarah Moorhouse, born about 1803 in Thurlstone and died 17 Nov 1861 at Kirkwood Farm, Penistone. They had six children - Edward, David, twins Joseph and Mary, Benjamin and Amelia and all born in Penistone; and Benjamin is the one I follow.
I have Charles and Sarah's marriage certificates and also census records for them and their children but it is their daughter Mary Berry that I am hoping someone may put me on the right track of where to look.
Mary was born on 16 Feb 1874 and died on 7 Sept 1874 at "Castle Farm", Penistone. Mary had three illegitimate children - Annie Amelia Berry b 1857-d 1880 in Wortley; James Berry born 1868 and Ada Berry born 1870. In 1871 Mary's three children were living at the family farm "Shepherd's Castle Farm" with their grandfather Charles Berry and their mother Mary Berry.
I have the 1861 and 1871 census for Annie Amelia as well as a baptism record (St John the Baptist, Penistone) and a death registration and for James and Ada just the 1871 census and their birth registrations. I am trying to find out what happened to them and where did they go when their mother died in Nov 1874 as James would have been about six and Ada about three. They are not with their grandfather Charles Berry who in the 1881 census was retired farmer and residing at Roughbirchwood, Oxspring and died the following year at Wortley.
Is there any links/sites or anything where I may be able to find out what happened to Mary's children? ( Annie Amelia Berry died at age 22 in 1880 at Wortley ).
  Thank you and Regards,
    Judy

You say above

" Mary was born on 16 Feb 1874 and died on 7 Sept 1874 at "Castle Farm", Penistone. Mary had three illegitimate children "

???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
I think it's a typo and it should be 1834 re her birth https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7KC-YBS

Kay

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Don't wish to be pessimistic but they may have died as young children.

There is an Ada Berry death in Mar 1879 Wortley age 8.

James Berry death in Mar 1879 Wortley age 11.

Might be worth checking those out as they died the same quarter and the ages are about right.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 April 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
Oops meant to be that Mary Berry was born in 1834.I didn't proof read before sending!
Thank you for your replies.
I wondered myself if they all died young or else ended up in a orphanage.
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston