Author Topic: Boer War help  (Read 1021 times)

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War help
« on: Friday 07 April 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, my great-great grandfather Henry Newman served as a gunner with the RHA - he had joined by 1891 (according to census) and also gives this as his occupation on the birth certificate of his first daughter in 1894 (born in aldershot). Henry was born 1873 in Shoreditch but spent most of his domestic life in Tottenham. His wife was Catherine/Kate
I believe he went to South Africa because we have a photo of an ancestor (unnamed) taken in a studio in cape town SA wearing a RHA jacket, plus he is not with his family on the 1901 census and I can't find him elsewhere on the census.
I once found a possible regimental number: H Newman, 78747 gunner royal battery RHA - though I made a note I can't find it any more!
He later enlisted age 42 to serve in WW1 - I found his service record, Royal Field Artillery, number 49024 (looks like he served with the 37th division then went into the reserves) and the record does show an earlier discharge from the army on 10 June 1902.
Can anyone shed any more light? The WW1 record is very hard for me to decipher much! And what about his earlier service? I'd love to know more - are there any recommended websites or anything? I can't find anything on,ine via the national archives - and I'm living overseas so can conduct Internet based research only.any tips gratefully received! Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
Taking first the Great War soldier 49024.  The records have detail of his parents names, his wife's maiden name and marriage date and the names of his children.  There are also some addresses in Tottenham and later Norfolk.  Just noticed, his wife was Catherine Rayner.

That should tell you whether that man is related I would have thought.  Could you check that out first while the search of a Boer War man goes on (the record has only the one reference to previous service and discharge in 1902 that you have noted).

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
The Boer War Newman was 78478 who appears on the Queen's South Africa Medal roll with the note that he served in SA 24 Oct 1899 until 23 Jan 1902.  the 1902 date checks out with the later record.  Unfortunately, there are no more detailed records that I can find for the Boer War man and, as said, there is only the 1902 date on the Great War record that links the two.  He served with R Battery Royal Horse Artillery (which Ancestry transcribes as Royal Battery!!!!)

Haven't given up yet!

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
Joining the dots:

Daughter Catherine was born in Aldershot in 1895.  R Battery Royal Horse Artillery was stationed in Aldershot in 1895.   R Battery left Tilbury for South Africa in the 4th week of October 1899.  Daughter Isabella born 2nd Quarter 1900 when the family had gone to live with Catherine's parents in Tottenham (farewell present?).

Circumstantial but persuasive?

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 17 06:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much maxD! That's very helpful.
It's definitely the correct Henry / family for the WW1 service record - I have identified the family and all his children and wife and the information all tallies.
And as for the Boer War - 'circumstantial but persuasive' is exactly my thoughts too! Thank you for identifying where I originally found this H Newman (medal cards) - and I hadn't spotted about R battery - that means I can find some info about where he was etc. (If it was him). I managed to find an original scan for the medal card too. The information all links up but there's just non 100% definitive connection (yet!).

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Slight spanner in the works.  Up to now I had been looking at the King's South Africa medal roll in which he is clearly noted on three separate records as having served with R Battery RHA.  I have since found (should have seen it earlier) the Queen's South Africa medal roll for the battery in which a note against his name says "From [ie previously served with] G Battery RHA".

This may help because in 1899 before G Battery left for South Africa, they were stationed in St John's Wood barracks in London.  Isabella's birth was registered in the north London district of Edmonton which suggests the family was living with father in law (as in 1901) in Tottenham (Edmonton district).

We already know Catherine was born in Aldershot in 1894 (the census suggested 1895 which I quoted yesterday).   As well as R battery, G Battery was stationed in Aldershot in 1893 and 1894.

These two daughters were born at a time when, if the earlier one was the same man, he was serving.  Their birth certificates, particularly the Aldershot one, would be my next port of call as they should show his occupation and perhaps, if military, his unit.

My feeling is that a record for the earlier man with personal information will not come to light.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I think you are right that I'm unlikely to find any other service record with more info.

I have the birth certificate for Catherine the eldest daughter: born 19 March 1894 at 21 Crimea St, Aldershot  (also says U.S.D after the address) - profession of father Henry Newman says just Gunner, Royal Horse Artillery. Informant is mother, and her residence is the same address.

I have found a baptism record for the second daughter Ada - which just says ' Soldier RHA'. Baptism date is January 1896 and their address at this time is 5 Elms Road Aldershot. Perhaps her birth certificate would give more detail... The next two daughters were born in Tottenham according to the census - which makes sense with G Battery's removal to St John's Wood and then the posting overseas in 1899. (And there are no more children until 1903!). Both Henry and his wife Catherine came from Tottenham and had family there still.
Thanks for all your assistance!

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 April 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
A final thought.  If he is wearing medals in the photograph then there will be two, one (the KSA) with 2 clasps, the other (the QSA) with 5 clasps.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will check the picture!

I also did another check of my Henry Newman on the 1891 census just now - where he is found with the Royal Horse Artillery at Fordington in Dorset (a driver at this stage, only age 18). The cover page to this part of the census says it is the G Battery  :)