Author Topic: Owd Words  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owd Words
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 April 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
I am familiar with all of them apart from Aliker...Kecks were underpants...I am from East Yorkshire and also "Golly Handed"...Out of our family of four...3 of us are left handed but son is right handed but has some right brain dominance as he is Left Footed.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 April 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have heard of most of these as well.

I thought cack handed was clumsy or incompetent.  :)
I used to call them kegs rather than kecks (but that might have just been my interpretation).

As a left hander...I was often referred to as being "Cack-Handed" when doing jobs, to a right handed person it looks awkward hence the reference. But most people used the term Golly Handed where I come from.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 April 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
My mum often said 'pass me the alikar'

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
I've always known "kecks" as trousers rather than underpants.  Barmpot is used a lot in Scotland.  Another couple of words are "mardy" and "ginnell".
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Your "Ginnell" Lydiaann is our "Tenfoot"...my our Dil is Lancastrian and she say it....the men in our region use the phrase "Underkecks"
Carol

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Cack-handed does mean both left handed and clumsy, as these were (rather unfairly) deemed to be the same thing.

The "cack-hand " is the hand used for lavatorial duties, as opposed to the clean right hand.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 April 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
I'd hear most of the terms in Yorkshire, excepting the one for vinegar, and heard the "Kecks" one for the first and only time only a few years back, a child disparaging his younger brother who had "Messed 'is kecks" - so I assumed they were underpants? I'd say they are overall a rather lazy selection of northern words, probably straight from "T'Internet", to fill up a bit of space.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 April 17 21:23 BST (UK) »

I'd say they are overall a rather lazy selection of northern words, probably straight from "T'Internet", to fill up a bit of space.

You are probably right Threlfall Yorkie - but because they made me smile - as I hadn't heard several of them for a while, I thought I would share them, thinking they might bring a smile to the faces of others as well.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 April 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
E lass that's good of yer. ;D