Author Topic: Maj. Hugh MONTGOMERY of Maghera, County Derry, 1650  (Read 2052 times)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maj. Hugh MONTGOMERY of Maghera, County Derry, 1650
« on: Friday 07 April 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
Calling all Montgomerys:  Does anyone have any information at all about these Montgomerys of northern Ireland ?  (see list)

They came over to Ireland in the early 1600's from Scotland with the aid of Hugh Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery, who granted lands known as Gransheogh in the parish of Donaghadee, County Down, to Hugh Montgomery, a cousin, in 1628.

Gen 1. Hugh Montgomery of Gransheough, cousin of the 1st Viscount, migrated to Maghera, County Derry and represented the Borough of Newtownards in Parliament from 1635-1641.
He had two sons, Hugh and John.

Gen 2. (Maj.) Hugh Montgomery, the eldest son married a daughter of Robert McClelland.
They had "several daughters" and one son, William.

Gen 3. William Montgomery, son of Maj. Hugh, married Mary Magill, daughter of Capt. James Magill.
They had one daughter, Lucy, who died young, and one son William.

Gen 4. (Capt.) William Montgomery of Greyabbey, Gransheough, son of William, married (1st) Catherine Hall on 22 Sep 1719.
On the proposal of marriage, his prospective mother-in-law, Francis Hall, requested a Statement of the Value of his Property at Gransheough, which he furnished, revealing an £800 debt to Col. Adam Downing.
Capt. William Montgomery died on 17 Apr 1755.

Of the "several daughters" of Maj. Hugh Montgomery, I suspect William may have had a sister named "Jane".  I am searching for some proof of the identity of JANE MONTGOMERY and whether she may have married GEORGE DOWNING, Adam's father (perhaps) in or about 1665.  She was likely born between 1640-1646, because I know Adam was a first child in 1666.

The theory is that Adam Downing likely would not have even known about Capt. William Montgomery's financial problem, unless he had the family connection of being his 1st cousin, both grandsons of Maj. Hugh.

ANY information could be the key to solving a huge mystery.
I have a proverbial "ton" of data on the Downings of northern Ireland and would be happy to share.

Forward Into the Past,
Rick

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Maj. Hugh MONTGOMERY of Maghera, County Derry, 1650
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
As a follow-up to my original post, I wanted to extend the lineage of Capt. William Montgomery of Greyabbey, Gransheough.

By his first marriage to Catherine Hall, 22 Sep 1719, he had two sons:
1. Edward, b. ? ; died 1726
2. William, b. ? ; d. ?

Catherine Hall died in 1723.

By his second marriage, in 1725, to Elizabeth Hill, dau. of Samuel Hill of Buckinghamshire, he had the following children:
1. Mary, b. 1 Dec 1726
2. Hugh, b. 4 Sep 1727
3. Ann, b. 20 Sep 1730
4. Elizabeth, b. 29 Sep 1731
5. Rowley, b. 29 Oct 1732
6. Catherine, b. 20 Aug 1735
7. James, b. 14 Nov 1736
8. Robert, b. 24 Aug 1738
9. Letitia, b. 4 Oct 1741
10. Samuel, b. 29 May 1743
11. Arthur, b. 24 Jun 1744

If you recognize ANY of these MONTGOMERYS, please reply.
I am writing a book and this branch of Montgomery seems to tie in to the DOWNINGS of County Derry.  The first Montgomerys from Scotland arrived in County Down in about 1603.
All contributors will be cited in the book and I will be happy to notify them when it becomes available.

Thank you for your consideration,
Rick

Offline Robert Stedall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Rick, Did you ever read my book, Men of Substance. This has a lot about the arrival of Hugh Montgomery 'of Braidstaine' in Ireland which is confirmed by the Montgomery memoir.  Unfortunately it does not cover the later generations.  Robert

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I have only read parts of it so far, and find it quite interesting.
It sits right by my keyboard for ready reference, and I WILL get to it "cover-to-cover" in time.

Right now I'm researching for clues on 'Richard' Downing pursuant to your revelations from earlier today.
Talk to you soon,
Rick