Author Topic: Ellen Malone of Ballyshancarragh 1800-1840  (Read 1949 times)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Malone of Ballyshancarragh 1800-1840
« on: Friday 07 April 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
The Clonegal sacramental records show Ellen of Ballyshancarragh marrying in 1846 to a man from Ballypierce. It is my misfortune that the baptismal records for that area go back no further than 1830 ish. I am thinking that this Ellen Malone may be my GGGrandmother. Ellen and her husband John are shown to be parents of William born 1848, and if Ellen and John are my ancestors then this son must have died prior to their emmigration to USA in 1852. I know from my Ellen's grave marker that she would have been born around 1809. If this is my Ellen's marriage, then she was in her upper thirties when married. From USA census record I know that my Ellen was about three years older than John. Might she have been a widow marrying for the second time? Anyone know anything of this Malone family?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Malone of Ballyshancarragh 1800-1840
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Have you checked through the existing records for previous marriage just incase she might have married in the same parish previously?

Some U.S. census records list number of marriage, etc. but perhaps too late for Ellen to be recorded.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,
Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked through the marriage records that go back as far as 1833 and there is no entry for an Ellen something being married to a Malone.
Wading through all the records, I see that Ellen and John never appear together as sponsors or witnesses at baptisms or marriages, but that said, it appears that husband and wife pairing as sponsors was not common.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
There was a rebellion in Clonegal in 1798 and a couple of Malones were involved.  One was a Edward Malone and he was a Yeoman.

when a try and get back into the write up it will not let me so you would have to use google or one of the other search eng.

then put in search box. rebellion of 1798 clonegal

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks rathmore,
I was able to order a copy of Clonegal in 1798 some months back and found the reference of Edward. Quite a turn around if Ellen was from a Yeoman aligned family and John was from a rebel line. How quickly did animosities die down following the rebellion of 98? Again, both would have been old at the time they married in 1846, he 38 and she 40 if this couple in the Clonegal records are my ancestors.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
possible years.  there was a Teresa Malone heroine battle of Kilcumney, buired Murphy of ballyellen mills. she was from Ballinkin could be a relative of yours.