Author Topic: John Lince apprentice to J Blackmore Hull 1871 help needed  (Read 688 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Lince apprentice to J Blackmore Hull 1871 help needed
« on: Friday 07 April 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

John Lince aged 15 was bound to J Blackmore of Hull 5.10.1871 and in 1877 had served his apprenticeship on the Two Sisters 17407 of Hull, John was living at Cottingham in the 1871 census with his father John and as there were no other John Lince's around in the North of England at that time I am certain this is the same person, now here comes the dilemma, May 25th/26th 1877 John appeared in several newspapers including the Leeds Mercury and the Weekly Gazette relating to the theft of a silver lever watch belonging to Herbert Starmer, John is noted as living in Saltburn at he time of publication in the Leeds Mercury and apparently the theft had happened 3 years earlier 17th October 1874 at Loftus where he was lodging, no explanation is given as to why the case took 3 years to reach court but if John was living at Loftus in October 1874 and Saltburn May 1877 could he still have been assigned to the Two Sisters in Hull for 6 years from October 1871- October 1877? Did apprentices have leave or were they tied to their master for the whole 6 years?

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Lince apprentice to J Blackmore Hull 1871 help needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 17 23:40 BST (UK) »

The newspaper reports suggests this John had a middle name of Alexander, is this correct with what you know ?

The report also says that John after taking the watch 'went to sea' ~ but on his return to Saltburn was arrested.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thanks for your reply, yes it is John Alexander Lince of Saltburn, both John and John Alexander Lince Snr were rogues to put it mildly the elder being married to 3 women at the same time in Lincolnshire in 1863!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Neither John or his father were very good at being rogues as they were constantly being caught.

Thanks for finding the reference to went to sea. The newspaper reports I have are very poor quality print in some parts almost illegible so I couldn't see a reference to went to sea, which newspaper mentions this? 

Now my next quest will be to find out how John Jnr disappeared completely after 1909, his wife Rose appears to live with family in 1911 and any later references to John Alexander Lince refer to his son, but as this is in Harrogate and South Yorkshire I'll post on the other board, need to do a bit more researching first, but there is definitely no death certificate. 

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

The newspaper report appeared in the South Durham and Cleveland Mercury on Saturday 26 May 1877.

I did see a marriage of one of the sons of John and Rose in Canada - might it be possible that John Jnr emigrated somewhere ? Possibly taking work on a ship and not coming back.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

That explains why I hadn't seen the sea reference, I had saved several newspaper clips but not seen the South Durham one, perhaps it wasn't on BNA when I had a subscription.  Henry Lince emigrated to Canada in 1913 and married in 1916 it mentions on his marriage affidavit certificate that John Alexander and Rose Ann are his parents but doesn't show any other details about them unfortunately.

Julie