Author Topic: William Horace Wickens  (Read 2574 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Horace Wickens
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Well, it's a possibility. There can't have been many ladies called Fanny Elizabeth Moses who became a Fell.
If she had come to SA from England, it might strengthen the case for that William Horace Wickens being the right one (can't have been many of them either!)
John

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
well Frederick William Fell  b 1888 makes a couple of visits from South Africa after WWII

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Bingo

Departure     20 Dec 1902, London
Destination Port:    Port Natal, South Africa
Ship Name:    Umgeni

Master F W Fell, age 12

Immediately above him is a Mrs Wickens. Not sure what the initials are (Ancestry has JH but I'm not so sure). Says aged 30

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
Departure    1 Dec 1904, London
Destination  Port Natal, South Africa
Ship Name:    Umoote

Mr WH Wickens, 40 and Mrs Wickens, 37

However, Mrs JM Wickens b c1872 pops up regularly to confuse matters - she seems to be Jesse Maud, and once she's with a William Henry Wickens. One occasion they have an address in Liverpool

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 August 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
Frederick William Fell was born 11th November 1887 and baptised 11th December.  Parents Frederick William and Fanny Elizabeth, he is a wholesale milliner and they were living at 11 Barnsbury Street.

Just to rule out, there is a Frederick William Fell who dies in New Zealand on 27th September 1974 age 87 (assuming they have got his age correct). He was born in NZ in 1886.

There is a Frederick William Fell arriving in Southampton (from South Africa) in June 1948 age 59 (so not him also) with wife Constance Ruth age 48, previously living in England, and intending to stay there.  He is 'retired'.

There is a Frederick William Fell arriving in Southampton in September 1953 age 65 last living in South Africa and not intending to stay in England but intending to go to other parts of the British Empire.  So this could be him. (His proposed address in England is c/o English football Association, and he is retired.)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 August 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
The 1902 passenger list Mabel found looks good. I can't be certain what those initials are either. Her age would be well out of course for the Fanny Moses born France, but she may just have been coy about it.

There's also the Southampton connection.
William and Frances Moses went back to Southampton, and were living in Commercial Street, Bitterne, which is the address Fanny Fell gives in the divorce petition.

There's an 1892 electoral register appearance - possibly a one off - for William Horace Wickens at 30 Rochester Street, Southampton.
Head of household at that address in the 1891 census was a 19 year old Eric(?) Wickens, born Kingston, a Railway Porter.
John

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Horace Wickens --chempat et al.
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 October 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
Your remarkable find of someone's life that I personally believe was unknown even to his brother after 1902, was greatly appreciated and ends a mystery of mine for decades. His mother's death then might have brought him to England briefly. A newspaper obituary might say, but I doubt there was one for the working class. [My mother's side in Derbyshire would have a death as a big story].
It occurred to me [a slow thinker] as to what happened to Horace upon his death. That is, where was he buried? What happened to his widow? Did either return to England? Is there an obituary?
One of you found his probable stepson's story, and that's good enough for me. Any suggestions?