Author Topic: The Last Will & Testament of Morgan Philips, Alias Wolfe, 1552  (Read 2980 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Will & Testament of Morgan Philips, Alias Wolfe, 1552
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 April 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Oh, this is great! So exciting! Even with no Margaret yet, lol! :)

How funny that we keep encountering new words/words used differently!

Thank you so much, both of you! I am really enjoying this! :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 April 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
Posting a few more snippets! :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 April 17 06:41 BST (UK) »
#11:

...in the teno(r) of John Waffor / and halywell grounde and the Man(or) of Rayhows shall remay
to Thomas Morgan my youngest sonne / And for fault of heyres males of his bodye / to the
next heyres males of my bodye / And also I will that this landes in london hereafter ensuing
That is to saye A mesuage or tenement with two shoppes in the tenor of Nycholas Dyxson
And another tenement in the tenor of           Standfyld of london Skynner situat and
being in Chepeside in the p(ar)ishe of saynt Mathews in frydaye strete / And on(e) greate mesuage
or tenement in the p(ar)ishe of our Lady stanynges in the tenor of John Mysharvye fyner...

tenor = tenure

ADDED:

Regarding the parish in the last line, the second letter could be t or c and the fourth could be n, v or u.  I can't bring anything up through internet searches.  Does anyone know of this parish?

ADDED 2:  Probably St Mary Staining in Oat Lane near St Pauls.  A victim of the Great Fire.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
#12.  Still puzzling over the beginning to line 3.

...And three other tenementes in the holding of William Briscowe Thomas prior and Launcelot
yonge setuat and being in the p(ar)ishe of saynt mighelles in woodstrete* / All whiche tenementes
[?] by the yere to Twentie pounds / My will ys that yt shall remayn to Thomas
Morgan my yongest sonne and to his heyres males  forever / And for fault of heyres males
of his bodye, to water morgan my seconde sonne / And for fault of heyres of water morgan
I will that yt shalbe to Julius Morgan my eldest sonne / And for fault of heyres of hym
to next heyres males of me and of my name / And also as cons(er)nyng the mansion
Mesauge or ferme of Upphall setuate betwixt greate Ilford and Barking in the Countie...

* = St Michaels Wood Street

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 April 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
#12.  Still puzzling over the beginning to line 3.
... All whiche tenementes
[?] by the yere to Twentie pounds

I think it is ... amownts.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much again! What an absolutely fascinating bit of history this is!

A victim of the Great Fire of London ...

How fun it must be to have that much property to leave behind! He does seem absolutely obsessed with heirs male, though, doesn't he? How curious. And how awfully unfair to his daughters and granddaughters.

It may be a sign of the times. I suppose it does make sense, if it is in order to keep his property tied to the good name of Phillips/Morgan/Wolfe  ::)

But his daughter's son, Alice's son Morgan Morris or Moryce, would not have had the same last name as Morgan Phillips alias Wolfe ... Did Morgan Morris pass muster because he was Morgan Wolfe's godson and shared his Christian name?

Or is that what this part means? "And for fault of heyres of hym to next heyres males of me and of my name" That a male heir of his daughters would be expected to take up the family name (whatever that was. LOL. We should keep our eyes peeled for Phillips-Morgans-Wolves a few centuries before hyphenating became the fashion! ;D)

Thank you so much again! I really appreciate it. I would never have been able to make sense of this on my own.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
A few more snippets:

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
I still haven't given up hope on the elusive Margaret ;D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 April 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
How fun it must be to have that much property to leave behind! He does seem absolutely obsessed with heirs male, though, doesn't he? How curious. And how awfully unfair to his daughters and granddaughters.

It was standard practice for a landowner to leave the bulk of his land/property to ‘heirs male’, in order to keep it in the family. If it was left to a daughter (without limitations), it was lost to the family when she married, because a woman’s property legally became her husband’s on marriage.

===========

Snippet #13
... of Essex with all Lesors medowes and pastures and other profytts therto belonging being
now of the yerely valewe of xiijli xs to be after my decease made sure be* learnyd counsell
for the space of twentye yeres to the felloship or misterye of goldsmythes of the citie of london
to thentent* that they shall distribute (...?) dedes of charitie Accordinge to my last will
That is to saye / firste to the prisoners of Newgate every yere at the feast of Christimas
xiijs iiijd And to the prisoners of Ludgate vjs viijd, to the prisoners of the Marshalsey ten
shilling(es), and to the prisoners of the King(es) benche vjs viijd / To saynt Bartholmew spittell*
to the releffe of the poore sicke people there xiijs iiijd / all during the said terme of xx yeres

Snippet #14
Item I will that ther shall be distributed in woode or coles in the coldest tyme of all the yere
to the porest housholders in the p(ar)ishe of saynt Fasters where my bodye is buried & Elizabeth
my good wief, and specially amonge them that have charge of children xxxs / Also in the
p(ar)yshe of saynt peters in woodstrete where my dwelling howse ys in woode or coles yerely
as aforesaid xvjs viijd / Item I will that also in the p(ar)ishe of seynt mighells in woodstrete
and our Ladye stanyng p(ar)ishe in woode or coles in the coldest tyme of the yere to the most
porest housholders of the said p(ar)ishes and specially amonge theym that have charge of
children xxxs / Also I will that xij of the most porest men of the goldsmythes specially ...

* be = by
* thentent = the intent
* spittell = hospital

Re sums of money: 6 shillings and 8 pence is one-third of a pound, 13 shillings and 4 pence is two-thirds of a pound.

(Hopefully someone else will provide the missing word in #13)