Author Topic: The Last Will & Testament of Morgan Philips, Alias Wolfe, 1552  (Read 2983 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Will & Testament of Morgan Philips, Alias Wolfe, 1552
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 April 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
I think it is ... amownts.

Thanks Bookbox, I agree.

Regarding the missing word in #13, I think it is:

...distribute hit on dedes of Charitie...

I'm sure I have seen hit = it in C16th writings, although a quick scan hasn't found an example.  There is an odd line slanting downward from the o, for which I don't have an explanation.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 April 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Good thinking, HD. I too have seen hit for it, but it hadn't occurred to me that there might be two words here.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 April 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much again, both of you!  :) :) :)

I liked this part :)

"firste to the prisoners of Newgate every yere at the feast of Christimas
xiijs iiijd And to the prisoners of Ludgate vjs viijd, to the prisoners of the Marshalsey ten
shilling(es), and to the prisoners of the King(es) benche vjs viijd / To saynt Bartholmew spittell*
to the releffe of the poore sicke people there xiijs iiijd / all during the said terme of xx yeres [...]
that ther shall be distributed in woode or coles in the coldest tyme of all the yere
to the porest housholders in the p(ar)ishe of saynt Fasters where my bodye is buried & Elizabeth
my good wief, and specially amonge them that have charge of children"

I have never seen anyone leave anything for prisonners before. It's all so lovely thought and written, isn't it? :)

It was standard practice for a landowner to leave the bulk of his land/property to ‘heirs male’, in order to keep it in the family. If it was left to a daughter (without limitations), it was lost to the family when she married, because a woman’s property legally became her husband’s on marriage.

Ah. So it's to avoid the "David Copperfield-problem"? (David Copperfield is born posthumously, so his mother inherits all of her husband's wealth. But then she remarries and dies, and her new husband gets everything. Everything which by all rights should have been David Copperfield's.)

So if Morgan Wolfe had been alive, he might have safeguarded any property he wanted to leave behind to his daughters/granddaughters/other female heirs by a private settlement with their husbands before marriage? But when he had passed away, any such conditions would have been impossible?

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 April 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
A few more snippets :)

Thank you so much again!

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
#15:

...they that have charge of Children every of theym yerely during the said terme at the fest

of Christmas xd / Sm - xs / And by poore women xd apece Sm - vs xd / Item I will that

their shalbe in the churche of saynt ffaisters wher my bodye is buried every yere during

the said terme of twentie yeres a sermonde be some honest vertuous prest preched to sett

furth godes glorie / to the whiche precher I will give vjs viijd / And to the Curat or p(ar)sone

xijd / and to the Cleke vjd And to the churche wardens for receaving the money at the

Renters of the goldsmythes of london / and for seinge that the preacher be an honest vertuus

man xijd apece...

I have transcribed as Christmas, although (whether by accident or design) there's an extra minim in the word. 

Regarding the currency amounts in this section, after he specifies an amount to be given apiece to a class of person another amount is written.

My guess is that the word is S(u)m(ma) (or similar) and it specifies that the individual amounts given come to a total of a higher amount.

So ten pence to twelve poor men of the goldsmiths company makes ten shillings.

The reference to the Renters of the goldsmythes of london probably means that the church wardens were to collect the money from the Renter Warden (or Wardens) of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths at their Hall.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
#16:

...man xijd apece / Sm - ijs / Sm xs ijd / this s(e)rmon once a yere to be preached on the daye
that my buriall daye was or els the next sondaye folowing / Also another vertuus discrete
preacher yerely as aforesaid on the saide daye or on the sondaye folowing in the p(ar)ishe
churche of Barking in the Countie of Essex i to the whiche precher I will give yerely
during the said terme vjs viijd / and to the vicar or curate xijd and to the clarke vjd / &
to the church wardens for their paynes to receyve the money at the renters of ye guldsmyths
of London yerely ijs viijd / Sm xs xd / and they to see this don / Also I will that ther shalbe
distributed in the p(ar)ishe of saynt faysters to the poore people the same daye that ye s(e)rmon...

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much again! I hope all of the poor people got the money bequeathed to them.

I am feeling a bit bad about you to translate all of this, when there has been nary of a hint of the people we are looking for for awhile now  :( But I have to admit that I find the full version of the will absolutely fascinating I am loving every bit that gets posted :)

Thank you so, so much again!!! :) :) :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
there has been nary of a hint of the people we are looking for for awhile now  :(

Just a little more patience. I think Margaret will be along shortly  ;)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
Extract #17
... shalbe in money at the discretion of the churche wardens and the renters of goldsmythes
viijs Item also I will that there shalbe delt in the p(ar)ishe of Barkinge and letill Ilforde
to the poore people householders at the daye of the sermond by the discretion of the Curate &
churche wardens Twentie shilling(es) / And also to the vicar of Leytonstone p(ar)ishe ev(er)y yere at
the same daye xxd / and to the clerk vjd / And to be delt amonge the poore householders ther
on the daye aforesaid iijs iiijd and specially to theym that have charge of children / Also I will
the wardens of goldsmythes of london for the tyme being for seing this my will done / first I

Extract #18
will that the three upper wardens shall receyve of the renters yerely during the said terme
apece ijs S(u)m – vjs / and the younger warden iijs / to thentent that he shall w(i)t(h) the renters see
the distributing to the poore as aforesaid / Item also to the two renters being present ev(er)y
of theym ijs S(u)m – iiijs / And if ther be but one of the renters present at the distrebuting
of this my will he to have to hym self that ys present the said iiijs / Item I will that the
clerke of the companye have yerely xxd And the bedill* xijd / Also I will that the Wa(r)dens
of the fellisship of goldsmythes and the renters shalhave towards apotacion* yerely during ...

* bedill = beadle (officer in attendance)
* a potation = ‘an entertainment with drinking’ (OED)