Author Topic: William LLOYD & Honorah O'BRIEN  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William LLOYD & Honorah O'BRIEN
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know the background of William LLOYD (ca 1814-?1882) and his wife Honorah ("Norah") nee O'Brien (ca 1813-1861) who migrated to NSW in 1851 on the ship "Kate", with their five children ?
There are the original hand-written records of baptisms of the children at Capintimore - Andrew (30 Nov 1838), Edward (30 Oct 1841), Francis (22 May 1844), Margaret (23 Mar 1846) & Mary (11 Dec 1849).   William's father may have been Francis or Thomas LLOYD, while Nora's parents may have been John or Robert O'BRIEN and Honorah or Margaret Murphy.   According to the NSW record of the birth in 1856 of their daughter Ann, William & Norah were married in her place of origin, Kilguahin (sic), Co. Clare on 26 July 1838.
William's younger brothers, Robert and Richard also migrated to NSW.
William was a farm labourer so it may be unlikely that his father was the Francis LLOYD who was at various times Sheriff (1798), Alderman & Mayor of Limerick City.
Kevin
 ???

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William LLOYD & Honorah O'BRIEN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Capintimore is the town land in St Munchins.
This is where to look.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0896

I saw this then went back to you post....same name FRANCIS
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/tithe_applot/stmunchins_tab.htm
drill down the list to Capintimore.

Now look in this.......
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=lloyd&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=&countyname=LIMERICK&unionname=&parishname=ST+MUNCHIN&Submit.x=50&Submit.y=16

Looks like Francis was  Williams father and William took over the farm.

Also see this
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:34ST-JY5

Hope this is a help.
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
Townlands in St. Munchin's Civil Parish (there's a Cappateemore East and West)-
https://www.townlands.ie/limerick/st-munchins/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggsie

Thanks for the help, however I think the tree you found on Family Search is not the Lloyd family who migrated to on 23 March 1846, according to the original hand-written record (link below; simply states Capintimore, not specifying east or west), and William, Honorah and Margaret died in NSW, not Ireland:
 file:///D:/Documents/Ancestry/Lloyd,%20Margaret_bapt%2023%20Mar%201846.pdf

The William Lloyd, tenant of Geo. Llloyd's land in St Munchins Parish, Co Limerick, as per the Griffith's Valuation Record Information dated 1850, may be our William but could be another.  The family migrated to NSW on "Kate" arriving in Oct 1851.   The immigration record has the native place as being Co.Clare (consistent with baptisms in Capintimore), not Limerick, although I understand the counties are neighbours and the civil parish crosses the boundary.

The Francis Loyd (sic) as occupier of land in East Capintimore, Co Clare recorded in the Tithe Applotment Book of 1825 may be William's father, but I have yet to see documentary evidence of parentage, say from a baptismal record; I think William was born circa 1814 by deduction from the birth record of his daughter Ann ("Annie").

Your interest and efforts are much appreciated.

Kevin

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again Maggsie
I have just re-read my post & see that the first paragraph does not read as intended.   Please replace it with this:
"Thanks for the help, however I think the tree you found on Family Search is not the Lloyd family who migrated to NSW as their daughter Margaret was baptised on 23 March 1846, according to the original hand-written record (link below; simply states Capintimore, not specifying east or west), their years of birth are different and William, Honorah and Margaret died in NSW, not Ireland:
 file:///D:/Documents/Ancestry/Lloyd,%20Margaret_bapt%2023%20Mar%201846.pdf"
Kevin

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
ship Kate (2) Andrew 14, Edward 14, Francis 7, Margaret 5, Mary (0nly months), William 35, Honorah 32, cannot read place.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Rathmore
That is my family.  The family with five children arrived as assisted immigrants in Botany Bay, NSW on 8 Oct 1851.
I have a fair idea of developments in Australia but would like to know more about their background in Ireland.

Offline Patrick O'Brien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
Kevin,
Norah O'Brien's place of origin is Kilquane, Co Clare.
Kilquane is a very small townland located near the village of Parteen Co Clare close to Limerick City.
You will find baptism evidence for all the 5 LLoyd children on the nli.ie RC register for Parteen and they confirm that your baptism dates are 100% correct.
It confirms the parents are Guielmus (Latin for William) Lloyd and Honorah (Nora)  O'Brien and it gives the LLoyd home as Capintimore.
Unfortunately Parteen marriage records for 1838 are not online but they may physically exist?
I cannot find any information on Williams & Norah's parents.
Paddy

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 17 03:35 BST (UK) »
 ;) Hi Paddy
Your info is very helpful as you have identified Nora's place of origin, Kilquane.  The immigration record had incorrect spelling and it was not clear as to where she had come from, at least to me in Australia, with no local knowledge (of Co. Clare).   It is also pleasing to see we are on the right track with the baptisms.
We believe his father was Francis, one item of evidence being this notice in The Sydney Morning Herald of 8 March 1875
DEATHS.
LLOYD.—February 25, at Brisbanefield, Morpeth, Francis, the seventh son of William and Honorah Lloyd, of Quirindi, and grandon of Francis Lloyd, county Clare, Ireland.
William is my second great grandfather.
Best wishes
Kevin