Author Topic: Where might this be?  (Read 6716 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where might this be?
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Painted in 1918 by an ancestor who lived in Durham North Yorks area, but travelled fairly extensively, so could be anywhere really.
I was hoping the bridge and church spire in the distance may help with location :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where might this be?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Some googling of key words hasn't found anything like this (so far).

I am likely to be off the mark here, but the colours in the landscape and the red roofs, the (head)dress of the woman and the three "pine type' trees give me the impression of somewhere on the continent. 

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, abroad is a possibility, they were a relatively wealthy family. I agree those trees are reminiscent of cypresses
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Is that a soldier walking with a woman and child in local dress (France perhaps)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
After a similar where is it back at Christmas I confidently predict the bridge will be the key to the puzzle  ;D Though where this particular bridge is isn't obvious to me... other than it looks post-Roman and pre-1800.

Are the trees you are thinking are 'pine-type' the ones (e.g. the group of 3) towards the left-hand end of the bridge? If so, I'd say Poplars are more of a possibility perhaps?

Given the date of the painting (1918) I do wonder if what the man is wearing is army uniform, the hat possibly being a British Army style helmet? Although it could equally be a civilian who is wearing a hat that looks helmet shaped.

Edit: I see aghadowey just beat me to to soldier guess!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
I thought they were just poplars - common enough in the UK. Besides, where might he have been able to travel abroad in the summer of 1918? Or was he on active service somewhere, and managed to paint this while off duty?

Because of the shadows, it seems to me that the river is flowing roughly between eastwards and southwards. We're also looking for a small town or large village on the south/west bank of the river, in a hilly area where roofs are predominantly of tile rather than slate or stone.

I hope we can get this for you - it's a lovely picture.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was wondering about the group of three trees, but it was not just those which made me think "not UK". I don't know that m/any UK villages have red/orange/terracotta roof tiles? :-\

We have to consider artistic licence with any observations, but I thought the chap was wearing a three piece suit - unsure if colour and hat and jaunty pose are right for a soldier, although the date suggests he may be. The woman's head covering and apron also speaks "Europe" to me.  :)

I agree that the bridge might be the key to identifying this location. The triangular pillars/piers are unusual).

Added: Arthur's point about not holidaying abroad in 1918 is a good one.  :) It may be that the painting was done at home in the UK from an earlier sketch (you know how some artists rework and revisit certain scenes and subjects).

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:11 BST (UK) »

The woman's bonnet does give a bit of a european feel, but then it doesn't look that much different to what someone in Victorian era UK would wear - perhaps for a rural dweller in 1918 (with wartime shortages) something which looks a bit out of fashion to us was actually considered acceptable wear?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Fair points Nick.  :)