Author Topic: Where might this be?  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where might this be?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I would be gently easing that painting from it's frame Cristeen in the hope that there is something on the back or behind the mount.  ;)
I's a nice one - very well executed. You're lucky to have it.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Yes that what I see Nick...there appears to be an imprint of possibly writing from the back...but then it could be dirt on or under the glass. It's a water colour on textured paper.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 April 17 15:12 BST (UK) »

cristeen, do you know which Silverdale it is supposed to be? I've found a couple on google but neither seem to have a river nearby anything like as wide as the one in the painting.

The bridge looks like it is probably constructed from limestone, but that doesn't add much to the search as people were willing to bring in limestone from great distances to build bridges if nothing else was near to hand. So it could be in a limestone area, but maybe not... about the only thing we could say is it is unlikely to be an area where granite or other hard rocks were readily available.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 April 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
My hubbie is off fishing for the day, I daresay it will come out of the frame at some point this evening! I will let you all know any discoveries.
I also really like the painting, one of his paintings sold on ebay which I prefer, but this one belongs to us :)
Nick_Ips, it is Silverdale in Lancashire, River Bela would be the most likely candidate if that was the case
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 April 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 April 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure Ruskie's comment about the piers is altogether wrong.

Whilst triangular cutwaters are relatively common, where economy of material was important they rarely extend in height above peak flood level, sometimes no more than just above normal river level.

In this case the triangular shape extends all the way to parapet level, far beyond the point where they are likely to have any water cutting benefit. The function, if any, at that point becomes butressing the spandrel wall (the inverted triangular shaped wall between the arches), or simply as an ornamental feature.

The really unusual bit for me is the abutment on the far bank which has a similar full-height triangular shape cutwater/buttress. You typically only see cutwaters within the river channel where water and debris has to be guided either side of the pier. Abutments would normally be on dry land, and even if subject to flooding, the water only has one side to go.

If the painting accurately reflects the structure of the bridge then it looks like the builder(s) did not need to economise on materials and therefore possibly were not short of money. However, with no disrespect intended towards cristeen's ancestor, painters often tend to capture the likeness of structures how they see it, or how they think it should be, rather than in technical detail, so I wouldn't want to draw too many conclusions just based on the painting. I'd also add that the technical details are what would make me a terrible artist ;)

The Eckington bridge photo demonstrates the above very well. Starting on the left at the bank is a wingwall, not a cutwater, the height of which is sufficient to support the road and not much more. Between the first and second arch is a cutwater pier which tapers into the spandrel wall no higher than the level of the top of the adjacent arches. The remaining piers all carry the cutwater profile full-height to the parapet level. It's a subtle difference - I wonder how many artists would have painted Eckington bridge with all piers looking the same?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 April 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
I've been assuming that we're looking at the downstream side of the bridge, because of the way the water looks, but Nick's comments about cutwaters suggest they would be on the upstream side.

Or is it, as you said, Nick:
If the painting accurately reflects the structure of the bridge then it looks like the builder(s) did not need to economise on materials and therefore possibly were not short of money.

In other words, did they build cutwaters on both sides? The Old Bridge in Ilkley (not the one in the painting, but one that comes to mind) was evidently built like that: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4702510
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
It doesn't look much like Silverdale (Lancs) to me at all.  The river Bela would run through neighbouring Milnthorpe before entering the Kent estuary and doesn't run through Silverdale. Also both Silverdale and Milnthorpe parish churches have square towers, not spires.

Don't you think the woman in the picture looks as though she is wearing a nurse's uniform and cap of the type worn around WW2?  This would maybe fit with the soldier idea.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 April 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
It doesn't look much like Silverdale (Lancs) to me at all.  The river Bela would run through neighbouring Milnthorpe before entering the Kent estuary and doesn't run through Silverdale. Also both Silverdale and Milnthorpe parish churches have square towers, not spires.

Don't you think the woman in the picture looks as though she is wearing a nurse's uniform and cap of the type worn around WW2?  This would maybe fit with the soldier idea.

I thought that until I saw it in Photoshop and realised the little girl's bonnet appears to be the same shape as the woman's. The photo dates to WW1
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU