Author Topic: Glemsford Suffolk  (Read 1356 times)

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glemsford Suffolk
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi gang,would there be anybody out there to shed some light on the Oakley family from Glemsford,I was always told the name was connected to Romany stock.Have traced the Oakley family to the 1400's in the village,many thanks,all info goes to the family tree,Neil. :)
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.

Offline Potterer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glemsford Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Suffolk Boy - I see that you have traced Glemsford Oakleys a long way back - I wonder if you could help me with my lot?
We know from the Census that my ancestor Hezekiah Oakley was born in Glemsford about 1794, but not much else.
The Glemsford Local History Society site has a very interesting note on a Register of Apprentices 1802 – 1818.    The apprentices listed on this site include:-
   2 Aug. ’06:    Hezekiah Oakley, 13, to Sam. Cook, oyster-dredger, E. Donyland.
This Hezekiah would therefore be born about 1793 – not far off his Census age – so this could be "my" ancestor, apprenticed from the poorhouse to an Oyster dredger.
Do you have any info on this branch of the Oakleys, please?
I'm also intrigued by the suggestion that they may have been Travellers - why do you think so?
Thanks V much for anything you have - sorry I can't help with your own question!.
Grant - Ardersier/Campbelltown (Inverness), Edinburgh, Portsmouth, and London; Stronach, Rafford (Moray) and Edinburgh;

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Glemsford Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
Neil; Caught my eye, because I knew an Oakley, growing up. No indication she was of Gypsy stock though. And she was no where near Suffolk.

I checked The Book Of Bob (Click the house, under my avatar) and was surprised to see Oakley has been given as a name, by Gypsys. But, that was only in 1891. In Surrey and Sussex.

However, if ye have your Oakleys living in the same village, seemingly for hundreds of years? Even more telling; One of their boys taking on an apprenticeship? That just sort of goes against the grain, doesn't it?

In a nutshell? I'll see your " Always told " and raise ye a " Virtually unheard of name " . " An apprenticeship ". And generations (seemingly) living in the same village.

Sounds, to me, like ye have plenty to be proud of there. I wouldn't go muddying the waters with hear say  ;)

Incidentally; I can't help but say: " OaDley " is a hum dinger of a Gypsy name. Found all over, since way back. I wonder if there's possibly a wire gotten crossed there, somewhere? Slip of the tongue and a family legend is born.

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')