Author Topic: Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders  (Read 1390 times)

Offline peem

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

We live in Lanton Jedburgh and the village is trying to set up a history group. We are looking for anyone that can help identify who lived where and if anyone has any relevant pictures relating to the village.

We have census records back to 1801 and quite a lot of information that needs putting together. Can anyone out there help with our village quest?

regards
hi, 
I have family links to Lanton. My great grandfather Thomas Smail operated the blacksmiths from sometime in the 1800's and it continued via his son William Smail until the mid 1950's. I visited my my mother's uncle Bill when I was about 6 or 7 years old and remember the masses of tools hanging on the walls and the large bellows that operated the fire of the smithy. I believe that fresh water was only avaoilable from the village pump located on the village green. The toilet was a "netty" at the bottom of the rear garden - a bit of a novelty from the luxury of Jedburgh sanitary system.
I can prepare a potted history of the Smail family at Lanton for your records - let me know what information you have and I will try to fill in any gaps.
Incidentally I have been promising myself a visit to Lanton if I get up to the area and intended to knock on your door to see what had happened to the old smithy.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.