Author Topic: Cooper/Middlesex  (Read 501 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper/Middlesex
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
It does look as though the enumerator started to write something else then possibly tried writing over it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
I think a year ago a woman helped me with my family via ancestry because I don't have a membership. There was a birth for a John Cooper born 1837 in Blacton ( Heston ) and than a same birth for a John Cooper born 1837 in Heston , both with parents William Cooper and Ann Shortland thats the Information she sent me .How can I be sure if my ancestor were of Romany heritage?  I can only See the England Censuses from familysearch but not from other genealogy pages. I think a lot of censuses have  written down if someone was a Gypsy or a traveller.

Regards

Jane

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track your family back to see if I can find any sign of them being Romany. 

There are children being baptised in Heston with parents William & Ann on one in 1814 William is said to be a Shepherd.

Online family trees are often wrong, those on the familysearch website are mainly done for the purpose of their members baptising the dead and need treating with caution.  I will see what else I can find

Rosie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
William was buried 29 Jan 1837 age 45 so born c 1793

John was born 23 September 1836 and baptised 23 October 1836 - parents William & Ann Cooper no mothers maiden name given.  Ancestry is showing a baptism in 1839 for a brother George but the transcript is wrong it should be 1830 - I was hoping it was 1839 and that the birth had been registered  ::)

I agree that it is probable that William was the son of  James & Mary - A possible Mary was living with son James in Heston in 1841 - In 1851 James gives his place of birth as Harmondsworth.  Still no indication they were Romany - James was a Farm labourer

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 April 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
I can see baptisms for most of those children of James & Mary but no sign of one for a Salem or similar could it be a transcript error for James (1793) who I can't see either  :-\

The familytree also says that James Cooper b.1750-55 Harmondsworth was the son of John Cooper jr. Who was born 1735 in Bincombe, Dorset to James and Catherine Cooper.
I don't know the occupation of James Cooper or his father.

I wonder how they made that connection  ::) 

I can see a possible baptism for Mary Appleton in Harmondsworth and Appleton families in that area prior to her birth. 

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 April 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the Information  :)

What about Mary Appleton? She was the wife of James Cooper and I don't know much about her , her parents or siblings. I don''t think that they were Gypsies because they had not common Romany occupations or common Romany forenames.  But is Ezekiel a Romany name ? And was Beer seller a Romany occupation? I'm sorry for the questions but the family is very interesting  ;)

Jane

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 April 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Ezekiel is a biblical name. 

Beer seller was a common occupation, many people at those times made their own beer and sold it from their homes.  Beer was purer to drink than water.

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Okay Thanks,

My Ancestor Henry Taylor b.1763 Lyneham,Wiltshire  was a Beer seller who married Martha Picket 24 Feb 1784 Lyneham. Later He came over to Warfield, Berkshire.

Regards

Jane