Author Topic: Please Help Restore - Hood family Beverley in Yorkshire, England  (Read 3751 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help Restore - Hood family Beverley in Yorkshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 April 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so, so much! I didn't see these before now! Now I have so many incredible versions of this photograph which I am so fond of! :) :) :)

I am so very grateful to all of you! Such great work! Thank you so much again!!! 8) 8) 8)

I really love this place  :)

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 April 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Lovely result Carolyn :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 April 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Joy it is kind of you to say !

Carolyn  :)
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 April 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Color one and BW

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi!

The people in this photograph belong to the Hood family of Beverley in Yorkshire, England. It is the only photograph that exists of them.

I would love to have a better version :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi

Great photo!

I am a Hood and traced my family back to my 4 X Gt. Grandfather George Hood of Selby, with a Cooper's business, who married Sarah Russell at Selby in 1815. By about 1825 George was a Brewer and also had a Tannery, with premises in Gowthorpe and Wren Lane.

About the mid 1960s when I was a boy, my Grandmother mentioned Beverley and Snaith, but unfortunately I was too young, for what also sounded like a history lesson that also involved Scottish battles, Glen Coe, Bannockburn, Prestonpans, Scottish history, King James I of England who was also King James VI of Scotland, the 1745-46 rebellion, Bonnie Prince Charlie, a Stuart and others.

I became interested in my family history about 6 years after my Grandmother had passed away in 1988.

Do you have any references please to Selby or a George Hood, in any items that you might have? I can PM you my email.

Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi!

First I want to thank yet another poster for fantastic renditions of this photograph!  :) :) :)

I have no idea how I can ever thank you enough!  :)

I have no idea why I didn't see it before either!

Secondly, BushInn1746, how extraordinarily fascinating!

It could indeed be the same family. In fact, I rather hope that it is, because that sounds like quite the tale!

Isn't it unfortunate, all those things one should have recorded before it was too late?

Of the people in the photograph, one is the descendant of William Hood and Mary Twedle or Twidle, who married on the 12th of december 1790. The other one is that person's spouse.

The photograph was taken in Beverley.

Now, the first child I can find born to William Hood and Mary Twidle is a son named John who was baptised on the 9th of January 1792.

Nor can I find a son named George amongst their numerous children.

Looking closesly at the dates above, there does not appear to have been time to have another child between the date of their wedding and the baptism of their son John, the time spanning barely a twelve-month.

However, there is something interesting. A boy named William Hood is baptised on the 12th of December 1790. The church records tell us that his parents are 'Wm. Hood & Mary his wife'.

This must be the son of the above couple, baptised on his parents wedding day.

Sadly baby William dies soon thereafter and is buried on the 5th of January 1791.

(The third child baptised is also called William, who is baptised on the 26th of May 1793.)

Could your ancestor have been another premarital baby? Who was baptised as George Twedle or Twidle, or perhaps not at all? And then was given as a matter of course his father's last name when the marriage took place? (I have seen this many times.)

The easiest thing would of course be to reject the this out of hand, but there are some interesting links. The Beverley one for one thing, second, your ancestor appears to have had a bit of money, so did several of the other children of William Hood and Mary Twidle, based on the evidence that photographs exist of three of them.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for your reply.

My Hood Grandfather was killed in WW2 and my Grandmother remarried a Scotsman (her 2nd Husband) and regarding the Battle of Prestonpans, this now looks to have involved the Clan ancestors of her 2nd Husband.

Presume you have noticed a Richard Hood at Beverley in the 1786 Duty Paid on Apprenticeship Records.

IR 1/64 Board of Stamps: Apprenticeship Books. Country Registers
On Folio number 26
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C233911

Regards Mark

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Yes, that would make more sense! Though I confess myself disappointed  :)

No, I had not seen that previously. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

Is your thought that this Richard Hood might be a relation of my Hoods?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:41 BST (UK) »

Is your thought that this Richard Hood might be a relation of my Hoods?

Hello WillowG

I don't know whether Richard Hood the Apprentice is related to your Beverley Hoods, or not.

However, if I have something that I'm unsure about, one has to pass it on.

Don't know whether these images of Bainbridge Hood of Beverley are related to your Hoods either ...

Regards Mark