Author Topic: Searching for birth of James Wilson, Sprouston c.1815  (Read 1400 times)

Offline JenNZL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for birth of James Wilson, Sprouston c.1815
« on: Sunday 09 April 17 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've hit a bit of a brick wall tracing the parents of my GGG grandfather James Wilson.

Census records suggest he was born between 1811-1815, and all of them list Sprouston as the place of birth. Based on the names of his children (if they follow traditional patterns) it's possible his parents were Robert and Margaret.

I've found a James Wilson born to Janet Curry and Mark Wilson in Sprouston in 1810, but barring any other evidence to suggest this is him the link is tenuous, and the names certainly don't tally.

James went on to marry Isabella Turnbull, and is listed on census records primarily as an AgLab, though early in his life (1841 census) he was listed as a labourer. His children's names in order are: Eleanor (the name of Isabella's mother); Robert, Margaret, MaryAnn (the name of Isabella's unmarried sister); William (the name of Isabella's father); Isabel.
The family lived predominantly in the Roxburghshire area, it appears (Kelso, then Linton, then Morebattle) before moving in later years to Cornhill in Northumberland (most likely in connection with one of their children.)

I can't for the life of me find any records for him other than censuses - no birth, no death or burial (though I suspect he died between 1881-1891), nor any marriage record (there appears to be an incorrectly indexed marriage between James Wilson and Isabella Turnbull in 1836 in Kelso, but no corresponding document on Scotland's People. I've contacted them and they have no record of it either.)

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jenni

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for birth of James Wilson, Sprouston c.1815
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
census 1841 - roxburghe street kelso - ag lab
census 1851 - graden cottages, Linton - ag lab
census 1861 - whitton cottages, Morebattle - Ploughman

Offline JenNZL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 03:27 BST (UK) »
census 1841 - roxburghe street kelso - ag lab
census 1851 - graden cottages, Linton - ag lab
census 1861 - whitton cottages, Morebattle - Ploughman

Hi there,

Thank you  -I've actually already found him on census records up until his death or thereabouts, but still can't seem to track down any birth / baptism information in order to go back another generation.

Thanks for your time though :-)

Cheers,

Jen

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Jenni,

Have you checked the monumental inscriptions (MIs) for the area cemetery (or cemeteries)?

If not, it looks like they are available for purchase from the Borders Family History Society:
http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/sprouston.asp

The MIs might provide some clues, although it's also possible James and his wife were buried in Northumberland, in which case I would suggest you also check that area's MIs.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is an Isabella Wilson widow living at Langton Berwickshire on the 1891 Scotland census
and again on the 1901 Heaton Northumberland death 1902 could be the family

Also James Wilson and Isabella Turnbull married Kelso 1836

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 June 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
found a James Wilson Born 25 Sep 1807 at Nenthorn, which is in Berwickshire, but is about couple of miles north of Kelso - fathers name Robert