Author Topic: Northumberland/Cowpen - Maxwells Buildings  (Read 2266 times)

Offline ShellsinWA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland/Cowpen - Maxwells Buildings
« on: Sunday 09 April 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in 1895 at either 13 or 22 Maxwells Buildings in Cowpen. Does anyone know the location or have any information/photos of this place, please? Thanks. :)
Peggs in Norfolk and Northumberland
Marsden in Lancashire
Harling in Kent
Braund in Devon

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland/Cowpen - Maxwells Buildings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
ShellsinWA, I have just googled Maxwells Buildings, Cowpen, and there is a Cowpen Lane Industrial estate, in Middlesbrough, with an address for Maxwells Buildings.  Are you searching in the correct county ?
However, if there was an address - Maxwell's Buildings, Cowpen, Northumberland, i.e. the Blyth area,then keep checking the Northumberland page, as there are some very knowledgeable contributors in here.
Welcome to RootsChat and I hope you get the information you are seeking.

Offline ShellsinWA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 17 02:46 BST (UK) »
Yes - definitely in Cowpen, Northumberland. Thanks.
Marsden in Lancashire
Harling in Kent
Braund in Devon

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Please tell us your grandfather's name and do you know if the family were still at Cowpen at the time of the 1901 census?

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
I have made my way through the 1901 census, followed the Enumerator, and between the King's Head pub and Tweedy Street, there was a Maxwell Street. The conclusion I come to is that Maxwell Street was later named Taylor Street. The numbers go up to 32 and then the Enumerator went to Tweedy Street and then Richardson Terrace. I grew up at number 30 Taylor Street! I didn't know Taylor Street was known by another name. The street was built circa 1894/5 give or take a year or two, and on the 1897 map the street has no name applied to it. So, perhaps when the houses were brand new and before the street was named, it was known as Maxwell's Buildings.

On the 1901 census number 13 was occupied by William Wilton, his wife Phillis and their 1 year old child Lizzie Ann.

Number 22 was occupied by William Davidson, his wife Ann and 8 of their children! Unbelievable for a 2 up, 2 down house which is what they were.

This is Taylor Street as it is now;
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1301741,-1.5455219,3a,75y,347.34h,86.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sujQ2n0kfD0RzQLFr_bS1GA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
P, Just had a look at this thread to see if there are any updates, and your last post is ringing bells in my head re those street names, i.e. Taylor Street, etc.    I hope this leads to what the author is searching for. :)

Offline ShellsinWA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
Grandfather's name was Robert William PEGGS. He was born in 1895. In 1901 census they are living at 40 John St West in Cowpen (RG13 Piece4813 Folio172 Page18 Sched105) so I am thinking that they were living in Maxwells Buildings in 1895 or maybe a midwife lived at Maxwells Buildings?
Marsden in Lancashire
Harling in Kent
Braund in Devon

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I guess the baby was born within their home at that moment in time. It's just a few yards along the road to Cowpen New Town, and John Street was just across the road from the brickworks, where I assume Charles worked. There was massive building works taking place right across Blyth and the surrounding area at that time, lots of new brick terraces being built as the town expanded rapidly, to house workers that would have laboured in the mines, or down the docks, or on the staiths. Lots of work to be had at that time.

The attached clipping of the 1896 map shows the streets in relation to each other and the brickworks.

P

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
As a child I had a friend that lived on the west side of John Street. I remember visiting their house a few times. It was earmarked for demolition, I have no idea why. The family was rehoused on the brand new housing estate on Ogle Drive. Very posh in comparison to our red brick terraced house, still with outside toilet when we left in 1981!

New houses were never built in their stead on the west side of John Street.

The street as it is today.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Blyth/@55.1307041,-1.5380006,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2BxiHoJeQIA5fmRwdb-UMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487e0d3290c43f55:0x215f59bf36cc3094!8m2!3d55.126957!4d-1.510277!6m1!1e1?hl=en