Author Topic: Records for Boroughbridge  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records for Boroughbridge
« on: Sunday 09 April 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can advise me where baptism records for Boroughbridge maybe held. The years I'm checking are about 1808 - 1815.  Is or was Boroughbridge in the west riding? I'm trying to find birth information for Richard Duncan (possible variation Donkin) On census records etc he states he was born Boroughbridge.   I have found a christening index on family search for a Richard Donkin 23 Apr 1807 - Aldborough.
Interestingly I have his marriage in Wakefield to Thomasin Waterland 1837 St. Johns church Wakefield 20Th Feb 1837 - also I have the baptism of their son Henry in All Saints church Wakefield - 20Th Feb 1837 - Fancy having a wedding and a baptism on the same day in 2 different Churches.  I don't have much knowledge about English parishes as I live in Australia,and as a newbie to this forum any help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records for Boroughbridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I can see, from the Bishop's Transcripts for the parish of Aldborough, that there is a baptism on 23 April 1807 for a child with the surname of Donkin, illegitimate.  However, the original document is very dark, and I can't see the forename.  This entry does not seem to appear in the parish register itself for Aldborough  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bumblebee, I appreciate your reply.  How does one see the bishops transcripts? Are these on-line? I have Richard Duncan/Donkins marriage, death and all his children's details.  Any advice as to how I could confirm his birth?
Perhaps if the Donkin illegitimate birth is him it might explain why it's so hard to trace him from before his marriage.
A coroners report for his death in 1862 in Wakefield which I found on Ancestry has his "cousin" giving evidence at the inquest.  The cousin Thomas Drury also states he was born in Boroughbridge and I've even tried to follow that line as best I can using on-line information.
Once again thankyou

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, the BTs and the parish records are on Findmypast.

Richard's entry hasn't been transcribed at all, I found it by using the information you have, and then searching for the date. 

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
The only other possibility might be to contact the Borthwick Institute in York, who hold the original Bishop's Transcript documents, and ask them if they can produce a better copy.  Unfortunately they may charge you for the privilege.  For your information the entry is on image 218 (of 415) of the BTs for Aldborough - bottom left-hand corner and the 4th entry from the bottom.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bumblebee
Many thanks for answering my questions. As I live in Australia I was thinking of trying to employ a genealogist around the Aldborough area to search more for me, but perhaps it would be advantageous to subscribe to Find My Past first!
One more question if I may, are all parish records up on Find My Past or is this an ongoing collection update?
Once again I thank you so much.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
Now there's a good question  ;D  And I don't know the answer, FindMyPast and Ancestry don't normally tell you the state of the records, and then you find that additions and updates have been made.  I believe that you can take out a 1 month subscription on FindMyPast, although I don't think that that covers the 1939 register.

The BTs for all Ridings, East Riding and North Riding records are on FindMyPast, whilst Ancestry have the West Yorkshire (as opposed to West Riding) records.  There are not a lot of non-conformist records on either site.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Looking at this image on here and the bold writing you can see, a colour photographic image may hopefully separate the writing from the page discolouration (probably dark brown) and may possibly also be in a shadow if near the spline.

If it has gone black through old damp, ask kindly if they can attempt a transcription.

Regards Mark

Edit: according to Colin Blanshard Withers book, the other Deposited Registers for Aldborough, near Boroughbridge are at NYRO (North Yorkshire Record Office) [Archives]

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Many thanks for your help.  I'll keep plugging away.