Author Topic: Where were William KITCHEN and Susannah WALLIS from???  (Read 1285 times)

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Where were William KITCHEN and Susannah WALLIS from???
« on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have this dilemma [one of many].

William Kitchen died in 1841 and is buried in St Remigus Church in Royden Norfolk aged either 84 or 86 depending on the death info on gro.gov.uk or the burial image on findmypast. I can find no information for his birth in about 1756 at all.
The problem I have is that I have [at last] discovered his marriage in 1785 at St Georges, Hanover Square in London to Susannah Wallis and it states they were from the parish [although they may have stayed there for the banns to be read and both seems to have been well over the age of consent].

In 1788 and 1789 their children, William & Susannah Kitchen, were bapt in Diss Norfolk a few miles from Royden, Norfolk.

I can't find a bapt of Susannah Wallis, although there are two burials on Freereg in Sept 1809 in Roydon for a  Susannah Kitchen aged 63 but one states she is the wife of William and the other states she is a daughter.  I have not been able to find any images of these burials.

There seems to be a lot of Kitchen families in and around the area and several branches both in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find these two individuals please?

Thank you Wendy47
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE WERE WILLIAM KITCHEN AND SUSANNAH WALLIS FROM???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
I can't find a bapt of Susannah Wallis, although there are two burials on Freereg in Sept 1809 in Roydon for a  Susannah Kitchen aged 63 but one states she is the wife of William and the other states she is a daughter.  I have not been able to find any images of these burials.

Looks like there is a transcription error on FreeReg as the Archdeacons Transcripts do say Wife of William.
see http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jw4/

yokel

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi yokel

Thank you so much for finding the image of Susannah Kitchen's burial.

Weirdly, being born over a hundred miles from here and having no knowledge of any ancestors in Norfolk I now find myself living a couple miles away from the church. I have visited the graveyard but unfortunately the stones have worn away so no names are visible.

Another small step forward with your help   :D

Wendy47

VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
When they married were they both single?
Susannah was 42/43 years old when she had the children based upon her age at death 63 in 1809.

Their son William was buried 31 January 1840 age 52 of Parsonage Green son of William Kitchen and Susanna Wallis. ref Bishop's transcripts Roydon.

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi amondg

There is nothing on the Marriage entry except the bare facts no mention of their state at the time of the marriage. The entry on the image is in Westminster marriages on findmypast 1785 William Kitchen entry no 357. I did wonder if the banns are on there so must check.

On findmypast in the Norfolk Parish Records for Diss, the images are poor but in 1788 William's baptism has Susanna down as late Susannah Wallis spinster on page 18 [just above the Burials for 1787].
Whereas in 1789 on page 21 just below halfway down on the right hand page Susanna's baptism has Susanna down as late Susannah Woollage spinster.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=gbprs%2fnorfolk%2fpd_100-364%2f01035&parentid=gbprs%2fnorfolk%2fpd_100-364%2f01035

I have had a quick look at the surname Woollage and unless William Jnr's mother died and his father remarried pretty quickly I can't really believe it is another woman in such a short space of time. I think it may be due to the Norfolk accent.

By the way there are many Kitchens in the area as Diss straddles the Norfolk/Suffolk Border and as William Snr was a Yeoman farmer I think there was intermarriage between the families. I have just this morning discovered an Elizabeth Wallis and her daughter Sarah Fox Vincent married Susanna's brother William above apparently. Needs checking.

Thank you for your interest

Wendy47
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where were William KITCHEN and Susannah WALLIS from???
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Update

I think of have found where Susannah Wallis hails from.
Thanks to the sterling work of bugbear on here I re-checked all the names on the tree he sent me that linked the various groups of Kitchens around Norfolk. Low and behold nestling in another branch was Elizabeth Wallis married to Thomas Fox Vincent. Their daughter Sarah Fox married William Kitchen the son of my William. This seems to bring together the branches.
Having checked baptisms I found Elizabeth had a sister Susannah of the right age and both born in a village a few miles from me.

I have now reached the wonderfully named Willoughy Tynk back in the 1600s and she married Richard Dogan and her mother was also named Willoughby buried in 1714. Very strange as I am not for Norfolk but I'm surrounded by distant cousins a few miles away.

I still have to find William's forbears but have renewed hope.

Never give up and thank you

Wendy47
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants