Author Topic: John Alexander death 1888 newspaper event/obit.  (Read 612 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
John Alexander death 1888 newspaper event/obit.
« on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the title gore, I wasn't sure how best to word it. Essentially I'm trying to find out more about my 2x great grandfather, John Alexander, and his death in 1888. For some background he was born in 1841 in Bothwell to John Alexander and Susan Dow. He married Mary Johnstone in 1865 in Glasgow and they had 11 children, mainly in Glasgow but for a few years they lived in Stranraer. John's occupation is listed as an engine smith/engine fireman in the census and he's a journeyman iron turner on his death certificate.

Now he died 17th September 1888 in Bridgeton, possibly Springfield Road (714?), from 'peritonitis - result of an accident - 4 days'. We've come to assume that this was another way of saying he suffered an impalement or similar fatal injury while at work, though I suppose he could have had an accident out of work as well. After his death we have records of his wife going back and forth between New York and Scotland to check on her various children (she took some over to New York to get apprenticeships and married), and we were wondering if possibly she received some compensation from her husband's work death that enabled her to afford this travel. I know back then it wouldn't be very common to receive a lot of money (if any) but figured it could be an explanation.

So my real request is how do I go about looking for any possible reference to his accident/death or future compensation (if any) in newspaper archives? I've looked a little into NRS and their guide to Fatal Accident Inquiry records, but I believe I'll have to go to Glasgow/Edinburgh to look at any that might exist for that period. Same for Poor Relief records. But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask about newspapers first.

Hope that made some sense and thank you for any help anyone is able to offer!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander death 1888 newspaper event/obit.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
Is there a reference in the margin of the death certificate to the Register of Corrected Entries? It will appear as R.C.E. and volume/page numbers. If so it will give you more information.

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
I can't spot anything like that, but I've attached an image in case I'm missing something.

Copyright image cropped.

Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 April 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
There is no R.C.E. In that case there was no inquiry into the death. The accident might not have been work-related. Perhaps there was a mention of it in a newspaper.

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hopefully! I know google archives has the Glasgow Herald but I got a headache last time I tried that one, so I'll have to give it another go on a larger screen. Thanks for checking about the R.C.E. though!

Now just got to figure out how his wife could afford all that travelling!