Author Topic: Carroll family  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Greenlich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carroll family
« on: Monday 10 April 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace my ancestry back to Ireland and have found that my Grandmother’s grandfather was James Carroll born in Ireland in 1841. He emigrated to Bradford, Yorkshire between 1847 and 1851 with his family. His father is Hugh Carroll (born approx. 1811), mother was Mary Carroll (born approx. 1816), his siblings were Catherine, born approx. 1845 and Winifred, born approx. 1847, there was another sister born in Bradford in 1851 called Ann. I found all of this information in the English census of 1851, further censuses have confirmed I have the right family but the only details of where they came from is Ireland with no county etc.
I also found a marriage between a Hugo Carrol and a Maria Delany on 11/7/1839 at St Nicholas, Dublin on the websire Irish genealogy.ie but can't get into the link to look at the church record page. The image filename is st.nicholas_mf_1822-1880_ma_0029
and the record identifier is DU-RC-MA-155967, apparently on page 57.
I am hoping someone may have information that could help me.
Thank you, Di

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
If you read some of the other current posts you will see that your inability to read the record is due to a system/server crash. You should be able to look at the original image once service is restored.

However, I also want to mention that you seem headed towards a well known source of potential error, known as the "streetlamp" effect. Imagine that there were 10 baptisms in Ireland where the parent's names and say one child's name matched with your family names. Now, assume that 3 of these 10 baptisms were never recorded in the first place,  that another 4 baptisms were recorded in registers which have been lost over the years, and that one further baptism is in a register which was not microfilmed or transcribed. Of the two remaining hypothetical records, let us assume that one was completely mistranscribed by the Indian or Canadian commercial company contracted to do the job.  So, of the original 10 matching baptisms, your are left with just one surviving transcribed record where the names match what you are looking for.  It is at this point that many people simply accept the match as "theirs," whereas in this hypothetical example, the chance that it is really their family is actually only 10%.  i.e. people look only under the streetlamp (i.e. only consider the surviving records), and are unaware of the much larger area outside the region illuminated by the streetlamp (the potentially large number of matching baptisms and marriages where no record survives).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Greenlich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what the best way would be for me to find out where in Ireland my Carroll family came from?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what the best way would be for me to find out where in Ireland my Carroll family came from?

I would start by talking to as many people (relatives) as possible about what they know. I found it invaluable.  Second, you probably need to sign up with a commercial service (e.g. RootsIreland, Ancestry, Findmypast), and use their databases to search for matches.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Greenlich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:30 BST (UK) »
There are no people alive left to chat too. My grandmother died quite a few years ago and all she knew was that her father said they had Irish blood.
I am a member of ancestry.com

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Di and welcome  :)

As has been pointed out, you do need to be cautious.
Take a look here - you have to register but it is free https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

I have looked and it seems that Ann's mother's maiden name is Clay. You will have to double check though.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
There are no people alive left to chat too. My grandmother died quite a few years ago and all she knew was that her father said they had Irish blood.
I am a member of ancestry.com

Then you can select their Irish Catholic parish resister database, and search there.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
Also, remember that the microfilmed Catholic parish registers are all available free on the NLI website
http://registers.nli.ie

Offline Greenlich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you