Author Topic: Ellen Thornitt - look up please  (Read 1997 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Thornitt - look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 07:48 BST (UK) »
Let us know when you get it  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cliveden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
I certainly will. The marriage certificate is ordered delivery next week. Hopefully this will determine if I'm on the right track or it's a red herring!

Offline Cliveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate has arrived and whilst it appears to support my research I'm no further forward!

The marriage was performed by a registrar, Ellen Thornett, spinster, 32 years of age, no father or occupation recorded. Her husband Albert Brown, my great grandmother's eldest brother who was born out of wedlock to Mary Ann Brown of Northleigh. His baptism gives no father's name but in all census records he is shown as Albert Hazell. Only his birth, marriage and death records record his name as Brown although his death was also registered under Hazell.

The marriage certificate records his father as Albert Brown ( We've assumed his father was Albert Hazell the man his mother married and who was father to his 12 siblings) and indeed it has always been the accepted in the family that Albert was the father of Albert so the recorded detail on the marriage certificate does not completely clear up that.

The witnesses were James Hazell his brother (baptised as John James)  and Carrie Thornett (baptised Caroline Thornett) James and Carrie married three years later. Carries younger brother later married James's younger sister so I suspect Ellen was related to these Thornett's somehow but not a sister of Carries from my research to date - so the mystery remains when was Ellen born and when did she die. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the details

These are the siblings of Carolines father Alfred as the 1841 have you traced them all forward
Ann    20
Sarah 16
Mary 12
Jason 10
Alfred 7
Caroline 4
Charles    2
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cliveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 April 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have only traced Aldred's children, but will have to delve into his siblings as you suggest to establish if Ellen is a descendent further back in Thornett family through her mother Elizabeth.