Author Topic: Extracts from the Will of Joseph Newington of Burwash, Sussex 1687  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Extracts from the Will of Joseph Newington of Burwash, Sussex 1687
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in responding :-[

Thanks so much to Nell, HD86 and Jen B.

The next chapter of Joseph's length Will with which I need some assistance follows.

Clipping 4 as attached
......unto my brother Zabulon Newington all my situate Coppyhold lands called Wallsmouth [?] lying in Tysehurst  in the county of Sussex to him and his heyres forever which lands are in the tenure [?] and occupation of Stephen Tyhwill [?] or his assigns ……

Clipping 5 as attached.

…… unto my said brother Mr Zabulon Newington and to his heyres forever one annuity or yearly rent  the ? of tenn pounds per Annum to be given [?] and issuing [?] out of my Messuages barnes outhouses Water Mill and severall pieces [?] and parts [?] of freehold land in Tysehurst aforesaid called or known by the name of Witherenden [?] now in the occupation ? of my brother Mr Benjamin Newington and one Thomas ? some or one of them and out of every parte thereof with the appurtences [?] thereof and to be paid yearly and every year at the ? of it ? the ? and the ? of the blessed [?] in ? by even and equall portions the first payment thereof to begin and be made on such of the said ? that shall first happen after my decease And if it shall ? happen that the said rent [?] or annuity of tenn pounds per annum or any part thereof to be behind and unpaid by the space [?] of one and thirty dayes ? after any of the ? which the same aught to be paid as aforesaid then my Will and Mind is that it shall and may be lawfull to and for my said brother Zabulon Newington and his heyres [?] ? the said Messuages lands and premises [?] or any part thereof to enter and ? and the ? or ? there taken to leade [?] drive carry away keep [?] detaine [?] and impound until he or they shall be fully satisfied and paid the said yearly rent and all the ? thereof with his and their in ? and expenses [?] in that behalf laid out and justly [?] expended [?] and I do hereby give and devise All the said Messuages lands outhouses Watermills and ? with their appurtences [?] called Withernden [?] ? charged with the rent of tenn pounds per annum as above said and after one Messuage and land called little Hammerden [?] and the house with their appurtenances [?] unto my aforesaid brother Mr Benjamin Newington and to the heyres of his body lawfully to be begotten  and for want of such ? of my brother Benjamin Newington I give the said lands unto my Nephew John Newington of ? in the county of Kent being the sonne of my brother John Newington deceased and to the heyres males of his body lawfully begotten Nevertheless my Will and Mind is that my brother Benjamin Newington shall have full power and authority in case he marry to make his Wife a joyuture for life by way by way of rent charge or otherwise of or out of the said lands at Withernden [?] aforesaid the same not exceeding [?] the value of thirty pounds per Annum……

……unto my Nephew John Newington the sonne of my brother John Newington deceased my Messuages and lands and other buildings in Etchingham [?] in Sussex aforesaid and also the freehold lands belonging unto the said farme called or known by the name of Miskine [?] now in the occupation of Mr John Butcher or his assigns……

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
First image:

I think Walecrouch.

Stephen Tyhurst

Also, the word before Coppyhold I believe is stinted.  Is this a term for copyholds?

ADDED:

If you put stinted copyhold Ticehurst into the search at TNA Discovery it will return 5 results which appear to relate to this land.

ADDED 2:  tenure is correct.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Westy, I have done a few of the words from Clipping 5, which doesn't begin at the same place as your transcript does.

To make it easier on my dull brain, can I ask you to reorganise the transcript so that it has the same line breaks as the image.

Incorporate the suggestions already made and then break it into smaller chunks (both transcript and images).

Thanks.

...Benjamin Newington and one Thomas
Ludlowe some or one of them and out of every parte thereof with the
appurten(an)ces thereof and to be paid yearely and every yeare at the
ffeasts of St Michaell the archangell and the annunciatc(i)on of the blessed
virgin Mary ...

...the said ffeasts as shall first...

...shall soe happen...

rent is correct.

...dayes next after any of the said feasts...

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello HD86,

I fear I have made a right mess of this and think I am only allowed four attachments per post?  The query is what constitutes a post?

Anyway if I am successful in having more attachments I shall start again as I am a tad lost now.

Here we go. 2nd line of the clipping includes

....unto my Wife and unto her heirs forever those foure pieces of freehold which I purchased of my Couzen Mr John Hepden jun lying in Burwash containing twenty and foure acres of land called the Highlands [?] ....

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
New Beginning [NB] clipping 2 and corresponding transcript [hopefully]

……unto Joseph Newington an infant being the only child of Zebulon Newington late of Maidston [?] in the county of Kent deceased who was the sonne of my brother Samuell Newington deceased the sum of one hundred pounds to be paid unto the said Joseph Newington when he shall attain the full age of one and twenty yeares .....

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
NB Clipping 3

......unto my Aunt [?] Mrs ? ? and unto my Couzin ? ? ? and unto his now Wife and unto my Kinswoman Mrs Elizabeth Howell [?] widow tenn shillings apiece …..

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
NB Clipping 4

…… unto my said brother Mr Zabulon Newington and to his heyres forever one annuity or yearly rent  the ? of tenn pounds per Annum to be given [?] and issuing [?] out of my Messuages barnes outhouses Water Mill and severall pieces [?] and parts [?] of freehold land in Tysehurst aforesaid called or known by the name of Withernden now in the occupation [?] ....

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
NB Clipping 5

...my brother Mr Benjamin Newington and one Thomas ? some or one of them and out of every parte thereof with the appurtences [?] thereof and to be paid yearly and every year at the ? of it ? the ? and the ? of the blessed [?] in ? by even and equall portions the first payment thereof to begin and be made on such of the said ? that shall first happen after my decease And if it shall ? happen that the said rent [?] or annuity of tenn pounds per annum or any part thereof to be behind and unpaid by the space [?] of one and thirty dayes ? after any of the ? which the same aught to be paid as aforesaid then my Will ....

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
NB Clipping 6  ;D

...Mind is that it shall and may be lawfull to and for my said brother Zabulon Newington and his heyres [?] ? the said Messuages lands and premises [?] or any part thereof to enter and ? and the ? or ? there taken to leade [?] drive carry away keep [?] detaine [?] and impound until he or they shall be fully satisfied and paid the said yearly rent and all the ? thereof with his and their in ? and expenses [?] in that behalf laid out and justly [?] expended [?] and I do hereby give and devise All the said Messuages lands outhouses Watermills and ? with their appurtences [?] called Withernden...