Author Topic: Perkins family  (Read 892 times)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Perkins family
« on: Monday 10 April 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Need help in finding the parents of John Perkins c 1798 Knighton Worcs
married to Drusilla also nee Perkins
Possible parents John Perkins and Phoebe ? but no concrete evidence 
Any help appreciated

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Perkins family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
I can't provide any concrete evidence, but as you've no doubt seen John gives his place of birth on the 1851 and 1861 census as Knighton. There is a baptism on 6 May 1798 at Knighton Upon Teme of John to parents John PERKINS and Phoebe. Can't see any other baptisms in the area that look as good a fit.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
You may have already checked, but did John and Drusilla have children who may have been named after John's parents or siblings?  (If they had a child named Phoebe I would see this as a strong connection).

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies
Yes, the baptism of John - Knighton-on-Teme - is where I found the names John and Phoebe
I can only find one marriage though - 1796 John Perkins and Phoebe Hill in St Lambeth, London, but the record states both were of the same parish (although I know this isn't always correct as in Census records the place of residence is sometimes recorded as the place of birth)  No records of John's siblings ???
John and Drusilla had 3 sons who survived infancy.  A daughter named after the mother or grandmother would have been good but I can find no birth or death of a Perkins with this name in the same period.  I have also tried Phoebe spelt several different ways.  1841 Census only shows a couple of 'maybe's'.  Still searching! 

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
I can only find one marriage though - 1796 John Perkins and Phoebe Hill in St Lambeth, London, but the record states both were of the same parish (although I know this isn't always correct as in Census records the place of residence is sometimes recorded as the place of birth)  No records of John's siblings ???

When a parish is named on a marriage record, it simply refers to where they were living at that time - while the banns were called!

It does not refer to where they were born ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 15:30 BST (UK) »

Thanks  I was probably hoping that one of them was born there! I now have a few possibles near to where their first child was born, although, as you say this cannot be any guarantee but perhaps they moved back home?  John Perkins was born in Knighton, Worcester
Phebe Hill 1800 Kidderminster, 1797 Tarringford, Hereford , 1797 Dudley Worcester, 1799 Old Swinford Worcester?  Still no luck with finding his siblings.  Any help is still much appreciated!

Sharon

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Apologies to all  I'm at least 20 years out so ignore my last post